1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Go Drinking in Canada!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by rcarson15, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Who said he had to stop before he passed the cop? Wtf posts are you even reading & thinking you’re responding to? I was doing exactly what he said in calling him out for posting it, but this shit isn’t even close to logical.

Edit: I think I figured out what you’re trying to argue and you’d still be wrong. If it wasn’t possible for him to see the lights, figure out it was for him, and slow/stop reasonably, how did they stop his buddy he was riding with without issue or shattering the laws of physics?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

WOW, younglion! I'm almost sorry I asked. Thank You for telling this absolutely Horrible tale of yours. I'm sorry you were treated this way anywhere, and it doesn't surprise me it was in the USA either.

I totally believe your account of the events and facts. We're all riders here. ? . We all know that 20-30mph over on a decent road/sumo is like nothing out on an open road. You blip your throttle- you're doing 80. It sounds like the cop didn't come after you at all really, or you would have seen him in your mirrors, etc.

Your story brings fear in my heart, to all the times something similar has happened to others, when they were out for a ride, are law abiding, and not driving reckless, etc. I'm truly sorry this has happened to you. Did you deserve it? Hell no, not even close.

If you ever make it over to SE WI (my current area- a TX transplant), hmu and we'll go for a ride.

Stay safe

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Anyone here who says they ride on the streets and also says they have never sped 30 Over is either a Gawdamn liar or don't ride a bike that's worth a shit... I went on a lunch ride yesterday and was easy 40 over a couple times... it happens.
    Coincidentally I was also once held at gunpoint, face in the gutter Glock behind the ear.. for running a redlight on a Harley..in downtown Miami.
    Handcuffed and searched for something they wouldn't be able to find because it didn't exist.. Biker Trash-!!! LOL

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    speeddaddy and K51000 like this.
  4. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

My riding buddy was 300-400 yards behind me and from his perspective he saw the same thing but had the benefit of a straightish road behind him so he DID see taillights on and the Cop moving over to swing around and make a U-Turn, hence he did what I would have done in the same position - pull over.

A diagram might make it easier but just imagine a perfect downhill radius corner, I was almost at the apex when I passed the Cop, he was still well back on corner entry. It's not that I was travelling so fast and couldn't sneak a peek back, it was a canyon road with a cliff on one side (my left) and a river on the other side, zero visibility back through a rock face in my experience - yours may vary. :)

K51000 likes this.
  5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

This is Hwy 20 we are talking. It is a spectacular motorcycle road. I was not able to governor my right wrist when I rode it.

beac83 and Britt like this.
  6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

C’mon man ... I’m trying to be done with the bbs duty on you. :crackup:

younglion likes this.
  7. younglion

Thanks man!

Like I said initially, it's a hard one to type out and get all the needed info - I've left out some of the really shitty County Jail parts, some other info like how the Cop coerced/threatened me into giving a statement, etc... but the jist of it was there.

I'll never ride in the US again sadly. Every year 5-7 of us would do an annual roadtrip down. Last year was Cali, year before WA State, and Oregon was this years plan - day #1 was literally just flatspotting tires commuting to the East side of the state to get to the good stuff the following days...

I can see there point to a degree, they don't want 6 Power Rangers "ripping" through their County, upsetting the locals but I would have expecting a response that didn't include a 9mm or a jail cell for 48 hours with a tidy $20,000 bill at the end of the day.

I was riding my new Triumph 765 Street Triple RS that had 1100 miles on it - once I got it home from impound I sold it for a huge loss obviously to cover lawyer fee's and pay back my buddy who bailed me out (they don't accept credit cards, just cash and I only had $300 USD on me for the trip) and covered my bike impound.

8. younglion

Correct!

First 1/2 is amazing rolling into Winthrop where we stopped for lunch, the next hour until I got to the town where I was jailed was much less scenic and interesting. It was perfect riding conditions though and I was on a bike, with friends, enjoying life so it was still amazing nonetheless.

K51000 likes this.
  9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

For sure the west side over the North Cascades is better, but the east Okanogan mixed Larch and Ponderosa forest is mighty beautiful. I have a friend who used to live in Twisp. :D

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sorry you had an A-hole cop. How did he know you were speeding and trying to 'catch' you if he was coming from the opposite direction?

There was a case a couple decades ago, I think in NC. A guy on a 'Ninjer Bike' was doing some fast riding. Deputy dog was coming the other direction, sees the fast bike. Makes a u turn, and proceeds to chase the guy. Well, the cop wasnt 'Lewis Hamilton' and crashes his car like a mile down the road. They find the biker and try to charge him with murder since the cop died. It took a while but i think they finally lost on that since he never even saw the dudes lights.

And i know you spent a ton on lawyers and shit, but I would let a jury send me to pound me in the ass prison rather than plead to even a mis.

12. younglion

The Police report said he initially radar'd me (82mph) then went we both around a couple corners and he lost sight of me and put his lights on anticipating me to come around the corner that we passed on - which is what happened. If it was a straight and I saw an approaching vehicle, then lights come on, I'd have assumed it was meant for me and pulled over but geography and rate of speed dictated otherwise.

I debated going to trial as my lawyer said he felt VERY good about it but I wanted the sure thing and not the gamble as he also stated early on in the process "All it takes is someone to have a bias and you could get screwed - bias towards bikers, towards Canadians, towards speeders, etc... and at best it would a hung jury and we'd go through the process all over again. I wanted:

- no felony conviction - check!
    - no additional jail time - check! (Could have gotten an additional 88 days if convicted - 2 already served for a total of 90)
    - Border travel wouldn't be severely restricted with a misdemeanor like it could be with a Felony.

According to State Law 22mph over is reckless driving, which I admitted to immediately to the officers, so I took my lumps, begrudgingly.

13. kangasj

kangasj Banned

When it's pointed in the opposite direction? Really? How the fuck would you even know the lights are on for you...especially if the lights are on when you pass? How fucking stupid. That cop was an ass.

Prospect and K51000 like this.
  14. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

All of that for 22 over? I do that daily on my drive to work. I've never heard of felony speeding that was mentioned before, that's crazy.

kangasj likes this.
  15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yes. Really. Not that difficult. You see an emergency vehicle coming with lights on, on a non-divided roadway, and you are supposed to pull over, even if only to give them room. Basic driving 101. That’s for ALL emergency vehicles.

And if you’re doing 20+ over and it happens to be a cop, odds aren’t in your favor that they aren’t for you. Jesus. And yes ... that cop was also an ass.

16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ya, I thought the cop was sitting on the opposite side of the road. I might have slowed down a bit in that situation but I wouldn't have pulled over.

beac83 likes this.
  17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

If I see a cop in a corner with its lights on I will slow down but not stop. After the cop is gone why would you stop? He’s already gone. It’s bullshit to assume he’s looking for you if his lights are already on, going in an opposite direction, and not slowing down.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Melk-man is that you?!!

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cop going the other way - why the hell should he have pulled over? Yeah this is fucked up and not from his end just speeding.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't know a single person who has ever or would ever do so. Hell, there is no way that is a law in every single state either.