1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog badly sick.

Discussion in 'General' started by Sideshow, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Flying998

Flying998 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the family member... I feel your pain and anguish.

A week ago past monday we had to entertain the same type of decision with our 10yr old Rottie. He laid down in the afternoon and didn't move at all when we checked on him a few hours later. Labored breathing, eyes functional but very dark and slow, and hardly any movement... even at dinner time he didn't budge and that's when we knew it was time to see the Doc. The diagnosis was that he had a tumor on his spleen and had bled out, the only thing saving his life was that the blod clotted the tumor and left him with enough to get through a few more hours. Decisions were to 1) Put him down since he was old, had a melanoma previously, and a 95% chance that this tumor on the spleen was already spread everywhere or 2) Remove the spleen and tumor and sow him up for $3.5k....

Long story short- we weren't ready to let him go so we did the surgery and am happy to report that he is trying to chase the UPS man every day even with his Cone on. Stitches come out next week.

The moral of the story- go with your gut (and try to do everything you can to avoid thinking with your wallet). We had good news after the surgery when he survived and we were told that the Doc found ZERO traces of any other tumors/cancers on major body internals. Also, just yesterday we got a call from the Doc saying the pathology reports came back indicating it was a Benign tumor and NON-Cancerous... he called our boy the "Miracle Dog" and all we could do is think that we made the right choice in going with our hearts.

Now everyone will be able to experience a little love from him during the 2012 season... even if I'll still be stuck mid-pack because now I can't get the engine built like I needed due to budget issues. :)

2. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

3. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I hope I won't have that same choice any time soon because I know I'll spend anything even if I can't afford it. People questioned me spending $2k on him a couple years ago and I couldn't believe it, I'm supposed to let him die to save some money? Fuck that.

It seems like every animal surgery goes the same way, "it will cost you thousands of dollars and we have no idea if it will work or not".

4. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

Well he is home atm and in Daddy's lap. Muscle relaxers/ steroids didn't work. They have him on Buprenex, Predisone, and Doxycycline.

He is moving on his own and walking now, Wobbly as all hell , but tail wagging and happy to be home. Vet said he is eating now on his own.

I pray he can stay this way atleast and I won't have to put him down now.

5. ccmhunt

ccmhunt Well-Known Member

Hang in there...both of you!

6. trancework

trancework It's always now...

:stupid:

7. Claussen

Claussen Well-Known Member

Enjoy every moment with him... I know he is glad to be with you.. Thoughts and prayers headed your way from me and mine...