1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog badly sick.

Discussion in 'General' started by Sideshow, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

I have been massaging him alot. As in his diet. We had him eating Healthy. Now he won't eat squat unless it's food we never give him aka the steak etc.

As the vet. He isn't advocating putting him down. He told us that would be a last option if we can't afford the surgery.

2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Real bummer. I've got 2 little poochs and they are the greatest.

Cool looking little guy, and great name.

best of luck.

3. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

Good luck Sideshow

4. TunerB

TunerB Well-Known Member

good luck 2nd vet or vet school prays sent

5. bigfella

bigfella Well-Known Member

If its a pinched nerve. Do you not have any pet chiropractors anywhere near you that could have a look and give an opinion?

A mate had a german shepherd that had problems walking (back legs) and the couple of vets they took it to all said the same as what yours are saying until someone mentioned to them about taking the dog to a pet chiropractor (long story short)

He took the dog and the guy done his thing and the dog was running around like nothing had happened.

Maybe worth a try.

6. Sideshow

This place he is at does stem cell/chiro/acupuncture , and etc. They told me he needs a surgeon :(

This is where he is at.

http://www.allcreaturesfl.com/

7. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Not tryin to make your worries worse but my g/f was a vet tech and said the cases she saw like yours were either a pinched nerve or a brain tumor. She said they would have most likely sent you to a neurologist who can do the necessary test to accurately diagnose your dog. Its all in how much money you wanna spend.

We have 2 min pins also and I was in the same boat, never thought i would love a small dog that much but with that much personality how can you not! Best of luck and i hope you have a positive outcome.

8. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

How old is the little guy...didn't see if you posted it? If he's younger maybe some kind of trauma, a fall or something? The odds of a tumor probably go up with age I'd think. We've got a real sharp vet up here if you want his number to give a call.
    Hang in there.

9. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Prayers sent. I hope his condition improves quickly...

10. Sideshow

He will be 7 years old in June. Earlier this year he did a 5'+ leap and broke his foot. I don't know if he hit his head or not though.This was most likely in Feb. I think

This all started around June. I went out of town for work and he started with the yelping,not walking, not eating, and so on. He came out of it my girl said 3-4 days later.

While out of town she said he had about 4 episodes in 3 months. I have been home since Oct. 1st. This is the 2nd episode since I've been home. The problem is this one has lasted a week and it by far the worst.

11. trancework

trancework It's always now...

hoping for the best, your pup looks super sweet.

12. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I have a 10 year old min-pin that had spinal issues last year. I went to work and he was fine, I came back and he was screaming just from walking. I had no idea what was wrong with him so I brought him to the emergency vet in the middle of the night and then his regular vet the next day. I didn't even realize that dogs have back problems but that's what it turned out to be. Thankfully the disc was okay and some muscle relaxers made him all good again, but he's still is sensitive in the area. Also, he has benign tumors all over the place and so far those haven't bothered him that much.

Hope yours is okay, I would suggest seeing a vet who has knowledge of spinal problems, mine was able to figure it out and put me at ease. And I know what it's like to worry about that stuff, my dog is my best friend and had two life-threatening issues in one year and then the back thing that I thought would be alot worse. But he's been healthy for a couple years since then so the money and worry was worth it.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Our Jack Russell had similar issues. We took him to a vet for acupuncture and he went from not able to use his left side to walking with a slight limp after about a month straight of daily visits. his diagnosis was a pinched nerve and slipped disc. They told us the same shit about surgery....$4000.00 and so on. The day we were dropping him off at the vet for the surgery the vet threw a box of Kleenex at my wife and told her to compose herself when she was crying. I thought she was going to tear his head off. Needless to say we took our dog and left. We were then told by a very reputable surgery center about the possibility of holistic care. We found a vet who specialized in acupuncture and energy flow and that made all the difference. Look for a vet who specializes in holistic care. I know I sound like a freak but it worked and we never had to open him up. This all happened 7 years ago and he's still going strong. Our regular vet is now a believer and routinely will recommend his patients to Dr. Neubauer. He laughed at us the first time we told him about him. Heck you might give him a call and see if he would recommend anyone nearby, he trains vets all over the world.
    Neubauer Robert E Dvm
    513-931-9127
    9199 Pippin Rd Cincinnati, OH 45251

14. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like my situation will be helpful to the OP but you never know. Also, maybe someone else reading this thread will benefit so here goes.

My wife and I have an 11 year old male Kuvascz. Two and a half years ago he started developing problems walking. At first we thought he was just losing grip with his rear feet on our hardwood floors, but we quickly realized that there was something wrong. After having an MRI done we were told that he has some kind of disc problem that was causing loss of feeling. Surgery was presented as an option with no guarantee of improvement, and I believe that often surgery on your pet can be worse in the long run so we chose not to go that route.

As his symptoms became worse we searched for a way to keep him mobile and we settled on what you see in the picture below. It has been a very real life saver for our beloved pet. He is now completely paralyzed in his rear legs but is still very active. My wife walks him a mile each morning so this really works. It only took a couple of days to train him to use this cart and he loves it. He quickly learned that he has to swing wide around furniture and cabinets, and even how to back up out of tight situations.

Obviously he can't be in it 24/7 but he does spend a lot of time in it. He is still very active, he plays with our other dogs, and still guards his house like always. He still even likes to run (well jog mostly) when he's feeling really good. Honestly, once he's in his cart I think he doesn't even know it.

These doggie wheelchairs are custom made for your pet and they can build for any size dog (ours is 100 lbs.) and cost around $500. They also make a version for pets that have loss of movement in the front legs. I have no affiliation with this company other than they saved the life of my dog by offering a device that allows him to still live a quality life.

http://eddieswheels.com/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  15. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

16. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

PM sent.

17. Claussen

Claussen Well-Known Member

So are they saying it is a pinched nerve? My Boston has had a few episodes where he will basically shriek out in pain and be very lethargic... with him it turned out to be a nerve issue, but it was caused from us changing his harness.. It just did not fit him like he wanted, and it caused his muscles to constrict in certain places, causing the nerve issue.. The vet put him on muscle relaxers and he was running around like crazy the next day.. It was really hard for us to get him to actually calm down..

Dont give up on your little guy yet.. see if that could be the issue as well.. If they havent done that yet, see if they will.. They figured it out by holding a treat in front of him and getting him to move his head up and down..

18. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Any more updates sideshow?

19. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

that is a cute little guy. hope it all comes around well for you both.

when i got married, i got a step-mini. a chuy. never thought much of little guys b/f past ankle biting. but my little guy and i quickly bonded pretty tight. now, i fear the day he starts headin south.

keep your head up brother.

vince
    :D

20. Sideshow

As of now it"s bad. He didn't take to the steroids. Doc called and said since I am a personal friend of one of his high school friends he is going to call some of the colleges around and see if he can get me help, but outcome atm is bad.