1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does less front sag slow the bikes tip in?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ibidu1, Aug 16, 2022.

1. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

The zip tie on the fork is about an 1.5 inch from the bottom so theres room for suspension travel.

2. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

of course there is... you've wound in the preload.
    most of what I posted has nothing to do with full compression, more to do with full extension.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Your rear tire is being tortured to death. Your primary problem isn't fork preload. One of your problems may also be fork preload, but you've got a fundamentally poorly set up motorcycle if you're on an R6 that won't turn, isn't using stroke and is murdering rear tires.

You need boots on the ground help at the most fundamental level.

4. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Basically, it sounds like you like the ride height of the front end under full braking compression, but not at turn in speeds at your pace and riding style...
    You'll have to prioritize one over the other but...
    Less preload plus one or more of the following might help
    #1 stiffer front spring
    #2 front ride height adjusted to how you like the bike to feel into a corner
    #3 then play with higher oil levels in small increments to get that last bit of feel on hard braking you want...

personally i think these would be done rear tire wear notwithstanding. but i'm nobody...

EDIT- whoa.. he said that's his front tire...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  5. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

That front tire is a mess and not a lightly loaded front tire as I was assuming. Nothing I said I would try given that picture.

6. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

That was the rear tire! Heres the front tire i just snapped a pic of it

Attached Files:

7. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Tire has 2 trackdays about 40 laps on them

8. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

From my experience that stock fork will never work properly at track pace. You can mess with preload and clickers but it will always be a huge compromise.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

@ibidu1 what is your front ride-height? put the bike on a stand, make sure the fork is fully extended, and measure from the top of the lower triple to the center of the axle?

I bet you are running <515mm for that measurement.

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Isn't there a pretty well known shock length and front ride height for R6 on Pirellis? Christ someone give it to him so we can at least eliminate one variable.

Daniel06 likes this.
  11. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Right. This is how knowledge gets buried in 20 pages of bull shit.

If you want to help, tell him the numbers and how to measure like this, "set front ride height to this and rear shock length to this with sag at this measured this way as a base setting"
    Ride motorcycle and then come back for advice.

If you're on stock front fork springs and a stock rear shock there's not much you can do except get geometry close then invest in some better parts.