1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does heat cycling really matter anymore?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ineedanap, Sep 1, 2017.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This thread isn't about me, it's about heat cycling. I thought I would illustrate what numerous heat cycles might have to do with wear...that tire saw roughly 2 dozen heat cycles.
    I think a tire kept at temp would wear progressively down to the cords. Apparently, with the heat cycling of "no tire warmer" usage, there seems to be an additional stress on the tire that leads to early delamination.
    Loss of grip, I believe, is simply too thin of a layer of compliant tread rubber. At any rate, those tires have treated me as follows - grip, grip, grip, slip.

To address your comment, that tire was all NJMP. By racing standards, my pace is meh, but it improves as I work on all aspects of my riding - gas, lines, braking, body position and, intangibly, vision. It's two steps forward, one step back.
    I've taken that brand tire to VIR, NCM, Barber, COTA and continue to see NJMP. Always the same usage, always the same result - third day, I know I should change it; fourth day and it's toasted. I'm in competition with only myself and the track.

2. Famous last words while looking at destroyed bike "I should have changed that tire sooner"

badmoon692008 and rcarson15 like this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

A man's gotta understand his bike's limitations. ;)

4. FXCLM5

FXCLM5 Well-Known Member

everything you ride on

is on those 2 tires

cheap out on them, thats on you - so some may say fuck heat cycles cuz the $$$, and some say fuck the heat cycles cuz I wont race on them

2 opposite ends of the spectrum

but we all ride on those 2 same tires contact patches

choice is yours and yours only

5. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

Michelin Power cup evo was told straight from Stow he has been working and installing Michelin race tires for as long as I can remember over 25 years. He says to put warmers on for 30 to 45 min go out and race when you come in wipe debri off tires dirt rocks rubber etc. Let them completely cool off 30 min before your next session put warmers back on. He says heat cycles do not matter.
    Know I run Dunlops GPA Pro 45 min to 60 min on warmers go out as soon as you get back put warmers back on and plug in. On the last session when you come in put warmers on do not plug in and let them cool slowly.
    I personally love the Dunlops on warm to hot days and find the most grip on the third and fourth 20 min session.
    Now if cold I do run the powercups they heat up faster and work better at lower temps
    I hope this helps