1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a Pirelli Superbike Slick 180/60 fit on a 2017 R6?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 647, Jun 19, 2021.

1. 647

647 Well-Known Member

After I posted this question I talked to Alex at TrackSide Tires and learned exactly what @metricdevilmoto said about the 190 being purpose made for 600s. So, I got a set of SC1s from him and spooned them on, and then realized that there was no way that I was going to fit that rear tire in the swing arm with the stock gearing and chain. I knew that the 190 was a much bigger tire; should have done some math and I would have figured that out. Doh!

Luckily, I had another tire on hand so I was able to use that for the past weekend at NCBike.

@Suzuka_joe you said that you are running the 190/60 on your 17. What gearing and how long is the chain that you are using?

2. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

2017 R6
    15/44-45
    114 link 520 chain
    No issues with mounting my CHK Professional single temp warmers with my bike and graves works 3 full system.

youngR likes this.
  3. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for that info. I figured that if I went with a 15/43 with the stock 114 link chain that might give me enough room to mount the 190/60 slick and it would be fairly close to the stock ratio. The plan is to just get a 15T front and steel 43T 525 rear for the stock chain. Two sprockets is ~$60 and means I don't have to replace the chain and can put the extra $$ to the next set of tires. Given that I'm just doing track days on it, and if I did do some races with it, that would probably not be the determining factor of where I placed.

4. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Well, you guys twisted my arm . . . I just bought a whole 520 kit with a proper aluminum rear . . . thanks for the input. Looking forward to seeing what those SC1s feel like :)

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Look at it this way. You are a track day rider and you can ride on world supersport quality race tires and all you have to do is change some gearing. Sounds like a win win to me

6. 647

647 Well-Known Member

LOL, exactly . . .

7. 647

647 Well-Known Member

@Suzuka_joe with the 15T front do you notice any additional wear on the chain slider on the SA?

8. Suzuka_joe

no, everybody runs a 15t front

9. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks.

10. Raging inferno

Raging inferno Well-Known Member

Who sells the 180/60? I haven’t seen a single guy still selling them. Thanks in advance.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

With limited space on a truck or trailer and the 190/60 being the new faster tire vendors may not have them at the track. So go old school and either call to order them or use the vendors website? Not real complicated IMO

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  12. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

thinking to try 190. I seem to have more edge left on front but not rear.
    seems like in europe 180/60 is still plenty.

13. Suzuka_joe

they use the 190/60 everywhere. Pirelli doesn't make us and euro tires, we all get the same tires. I can't imagine anyone preferring to use the 180/60 when the 190/60 is available. At least in CMRA we all went to the 190 and didn't look back.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  14. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

How close is tire to chain with 190? Looked at 180 and little room there.

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It fits on every single middleweight without issue unless you have some stupid combination of sprockets and wheelbase.

WSS uses the 190 and has for years. Or were you talking about a different Europe?

Suzuka_joe and youngR like this.
  16. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

plenty, as in vendors still have plenty of 180s available for sale

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Why are you against using the 190?

18. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

Seem like you are confused. I am not against using 190. Lol.
    In fact I want to switch/try 190 as I posted above and asking how were they.

someone mentioned, 180s are somewhat limited to buy now days and I said in Europe, they still have plenty of 180s at vendors but also 190s.

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

No he was trying to make a point.
    He knows what works and his legions of fast guys I'm sure prefer the 190. But he's also a business man with limited trailer space and Pirelli has the largest range in the biz of slicks in a bunch of compounds, then add in the rains that he has to carry so why not eliminate redundancy?

20. youngR

youngR Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Definitely lost in translation.

yes eliminate redundancy, 190 is better, use 190. 190 190 190
    Ok great!