1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a Pirelli Superbike Slick 180/60 fit on a 2017 R6?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 647, Jun 19, 2021.

1. 647

647 Well-Known Member

Does a Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slick 180/60 17 fit on a stock 2017-2020 R6? As far as this part of the bike goes, everything is OEM: wheel, chain, chain guard.

I've currently got a Dunlop Q4 180/55 on it and there is only about 6.4mm of space between the left side of the tire and the OEM chain guard.

Given the specs of the Q4 and the Pirelli in question, looks like there is about a 3.2mm difference between the two (per side) but just wanted to get some info from someone that has actually spooned on one of these tires to ensure that it'll fit.

Thanks.

2. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

3. jpratt847

jpratt847 Well-Known Member

What he said. Some people I know even run 190's. Just make sure your warmers fit. I ran a 18060 on my gsxr and my older gen motod warmers would not fit. Had to buy a set of 190 series warmers

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I hope so.... I have seen people run 200’s on 600’s...

5. raven21

raven21 Well-Known Member

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yes
    The 190/60s have been around for about 7 years, and here first as a Daytona tire. And for Daytona a 200 rear won the 200 with Wyman in 19. And many peeps ran a 200 at the 200 this year So yes a 180/60 will fit and so will a 190. But don't run a 200 too much tire unless you be at the big D

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We were running 200/60 rears and winning races on that combination (on an R6) before Pirelli had a proper slick for the 5.5" rim when WSS was still on DOTs and that was the development cycle.

8. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

you want the new pirelli 190/60. absolutely love it on my 17 R6. its huge but was developed for a 5.5" rim

youngR likes this.
  9. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

hey mike I heard the 180/60 was no longer available in the sc1/2 slicks is that true and what would be the best size of slicks for a inlet 600 if that matters

Circacee likes this.
  10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You heard right. We're going to drag you guys kicking and screaming into the future. If you have a 5.5" rim, the 190/60 is the best tire we can give you. Right now, we can give that to you in an SCX, SC0, and SC1. If you want that tire in an SC2, you're going to have to be more important than me in the supply chain.

I can order in the 180/60 SC2, but we aren't stocking them because obsolete.

11. Suzuka_joe

SC3 exists in the 190/60 as well. I have one in my garage

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I "inherited" a brand new SC3 rear, have yet to use it as well.

They don't seem to be discussed much, I'm curious how people are using/liking them.

13. Suzuka_joe

depends on the track, I have a new SC3 i'll try at MSRC this weekend. Last time I ran a SC1 but it got pretty tore up so I got a SC3 since im doing two trackdays and rather than using up more tires i'll just flip this one after day 1. Its the endurance tire but side by side the durometer of the rubber feels the same as sc1, its a different construction to resist heat I believe

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

They aren't discussed much because this is a racing forum and the SC3 is a endurance/track day compound.

15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ahh no, durometer use has no place outside of a lab and used in a specific controlled process. And no change in construction between a zero or a SC3.

stickboy274 likes this.
  16. Moto lover

Moto lover New Member

180/60 SC2 is not obsolete or discontinued. Pirelli will still bring in for anyone that wants it. 180/60 is still avail in SC3 as well

190/60 is the main tire for the 600s. SCX, SC0, SC1 and SC3.

Cant use a durometer for race tires since a softer tire is actually harder than a street tire at room temp. Thus why race tires need to be heated to their optimal ranges to be grippy.

SC3 is absolutely a great tire. Best track day tire out there and can have race like grip in the right conditions. Very durable and great grip. Had an out right lap record on the front in California and a class record in the north central on a rear. DOT SC3 is the new supercorsa TD tire and the slick is in line with it for the track only bikes.

SC3 does not have same carcass as SC0 not even a SC2 for that matter. They are all different in their own way.

jpratt847 likes this.
  17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

18. Suzuka_joe

on todays episode of what I learned soft tires are actually harder than harder tires at room temp. makes sense

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i don't know anything about the specific tires being discussed, but he's right about soft tires being HARDER when not at operating temp. Michelin "Ultimate" rear tire was this way. outright race tire (for a couple years, no longer) but when at room temp, was very hard. You literally couldn't understand how the thing could be so grippy.. but when on a warmer, at 190F+ , it was mad-soft :)

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

To clarify things and be very general about rears the construction hasn't change. In the past the regular rears used the same belt materials/binding compounds while the Daytona/Phillip Island rears featured something different. Technology has advanced since I retired and so have the tires. So the SCX & SC0 have the same/similar inner materials but the others do not. So yeah I left and tires got better, LOL.

I’ve written about this many times on the beeb but here we go again. Compounds are made from a bunch of different petroleum base chemicals and the three most important for TREAD compounds are resin, silica, and carbon black. Carbon black is black (duh?) and it offers abrasion resistance and durability. Silica helps lessen rolling resistance and provides chemical wet grip. So great for a street tire but not needed for a race slick. And resin is the glue and provides the dry grip so the more resin more grip. But resin wears very fast so you have to blend it correctly with carbon black to get what you want. Finally because the properties of tire resin is a stiffer/plastic feel the compound when cold will feel hard.

Durometers can USED for any race/street/dirt tire inspection to measure shore hardness ONLY if used in a controlled lab using tire industry chemistry/engineering procedures with the understanding that you know what you are looking for. So Jimmy BBS with a durometer at Sledges is wasting his time.

youngR likes this.