1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler family-friend discount plan

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Dec 27, 2015.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

After visiting with my daughter over the weekend (out of town, in college), I also saw her grandma and grandpa who both retired from Chrysler corp. After some small talk about my S.O.'s new charger, they told me they'd be more than happy to extend their family/friend discount plan to me on a new truck.

We didn't get into details, just said I'd keep that in mind.

A new truck has been on my mind for the upcoming year.

Anybody have experience with this and what kind of discounts are actually involved, percentages?
    20% off MSRP? or whatever.

Looking at these trucks right cheer. Maybe $25k out the door? Or am I way off base? That's already a helluuva a price on that truck. http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2016-Ram-2500-Tradesman--115259859

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I work at Daimler Trucks North America(Freightliner) and we still get discount on Chrysler. My truck was $36200, I got it for like $25500. so you should be fine. Get the control number from your family and call down and tell the sales people the number and stock number of truck you want and get your price. It's that simple

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

My truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 bought it late 2011

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Your discount isn't going to be nearly what you think it is. Chrysler has two plans for the non-public, Employees/retirees buy under EP(employee plan), and affiliates and friends/families buy under PP(preferred plan), which is basically invoice price. You will still get all the rebates on top of those prices too though. But to put it in perspective, most EP plans are about a 12% discount from msrp, and PP is about 9%. Add in the rebates and it might get close to 20% depending on what the vehicle is. Ram 1500's normally have hefty rebates, the 2500's do not.

5. gapman789

Dealer in k.c. Has 2016 dodge 2500, 4x4, hemi, crew cab, navigation, all power options, cloth interior ,carpet for $33-34k....not the laramie or slt.

So take another $8k off yhat, $25k....not too bad

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

But it's a gasser...

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Anyone want to be my friend or family so I can turn in my grand cherokee for an SRT? :D

8. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

You're giving it double the discounts though. That truck has an msrp of $42488, and the dealer is discounting it $9000 to $33488, which includes their own discount, and all rebates from Ram. If you get PP price, you won't be better than the $33488. If you get EP price, you might beat it just a little. Its not a $25k truck. Just an FYI.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Just an FYI, Chrysler will do some STUPID deals with dealer cash to move units at the end of the model year. This dealer cash is non-advertised money they give the dealer per unit, which is how they're discounting them so much. Most dealers will hold back some of it, but if you shop around on similar trucks, you can get an idea about how much it is. So, say a 45k truck has an invoice of 42k, advertised rebates of 2k, and an advertised sales price of 31995, 32450, and 31000 at various dealers in the region. With this info, you can assume that Chrysler is giving the dealers 9k per unit and those first two dealers are trying to hold on to some of that money while the third is willing to give it all up just to unload the inventory. If you actively work deals at each of these dealers, you can work them against each other and save big.

This time of year the pickings might be slim but if you're sly you can get all the dealer cash, all the rebates, all the invoice, and almost all of the holdback because nobody wants these trucks sitting on the lot eating up floorplan money - especially the expensive trucks.

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

This is actually mostly false. The most Chrysler will give a dealer back per unit under the Volume Growth plan is $1200. Its definitely not $9k. Just don't want misinformation being given out.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's not volume, it's dealer cash. When I was selling jeeps we had $6000 per Commander to clear them out. I was discounting them $10k and still making money.

12. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I got friends and family pricing on my Jeep just by asking them to deal.

13. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

That was because the Commander was such a flop. It is very rare for dealers to have dealer cash anymore. Its almost all consumer incentive now. The only reimbursements from Ford and Chrysler currently are volume reimbursements and the amount is typically $400-1200 per car depending on % of objectives.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That sucks! I really lucked into a bunch of cash with those stupid Commanders. Our GM got suckered into buying a bunch of them in 2006, really high end ones too, and we still had all of them in mid-2007. By then I was the only one at our dealership that was still Jeep certified (we were an old school Lincoln/Mercury/Jeep from back when it was still with AMC), and I got commissions on every one of them plus the Chrysler spiffs.

Anyway, if there's not much money on them, why am I seeing such huge discounts on remaining 2015's? I've been browsing for a new work truck and some of the Ram's were 10-15k off MSRP. Is that all rebate/markup?

15. gapman789

That's right....I'm not a diesel fan. No need for a diesel. Noisy, smelly, expensive to maintain. Fuel prices are higher on diesel. 5 negatives right there vs 0 negs for the gasser.
    I've put about 10,000 miles on my 01 Chevy 2500 HD crew, 4x4 in 3 yrs. I wouldn't be driving a new truck much.

I have my van and trailer for the track, and a Dakota quad cab for daily driving of at least 80 miles a day. Then the Harley and street GSXR 1000 for a ride every now and again. Makes me think I don't need a new truck?

16. gapman789

good info fellers....We will see...

17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

New diesels are neither smelly nor noisy. Mine is...new ones are not.

Yeah I don't know why you're considering a new truck either.

18. gapman789

Eh, "HEMI" looks cooler than a "C" on the side of a truck. :)
    13 qts of oil, 7 gallons of tranny fluid, 17 fuel/air/oil filters, $3.00 fuel vs. $1.69.

Diesel beats it with only 6 sparkplugs though vs 8. o_O

19. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Where do you live that diesel is $3? I filled up at $2.09 today in Florida with Regular unleaded being $1.93.

Edit... And 8500 mile oil change intervals are nice on my Cummins.

20. gapman789

So instead of 3 month, 3000 miles oil changes on the gasser, it'd be 3yrs or 8500 miles....cause that' about how much i'd drive it.

It would take me like 70 yrs to offset the cost of a diesel engine by getting better gas mileage.

I honestly didn't know what diesel was going for. I remember when it was puushing $5.00...it'd take $200 to fill up then. But then again, a full tank of diesel would last me 3 months.