1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do phone operators still exist?

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, May 11, 2018.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Last night I was chatting with a group of friends spanning from 22-50 years old about things that make us feel really old.

None of the youngsters had ever heard of long distance calling, and couldn’t fathom the idea of getting a phone bill that was based on how much you talked on the phone. Remember weekend rates? :D

So I started wondering, if you have a landline, what happens if you dial “0” these days? Does the AT&T lady still pick up?

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Gee, I wonder how we could find out...

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

There's got to be a youtube video about this.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think the last time I used a "calling card" was in 2000? Was like $.05/min from ANY phone. If you remember how hotels
    used to wack they hell outta of you for incidentals like phone calls! :D
    My son had a melt down when his iphone went kaput on Saturday...lol. Longest 5.5hrs of his life! :D

Shenanigans likes this.
  5. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Power flickered, better call time and temp to set the clocks again.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Yeah, I haven’t had a landline since 2007. Maybe one of you dinosaurs can pick up the receiver on your sports illustrated shoe phone and dial “0”.

Report back, mmkay? :D

Gorilla George and motoboy like this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

funny thing... we have a young kid on our construction crew that didn't know what the metal plate on the wall with the RJ11 plug was for.
    Even worse... didnt know that having call waiting or 2 lines was a "luxury"...lol. Spoilt brats!

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Geez, get off my lawn already! We used to have a party line and I can remember when the phone numbers started out with letters that represented the town or district.

panthercity likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Aren't you one of those fuckers shooting hormones to convince yourself that you're not as old as you are? I get some of you guys confused. :D

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You do not need a landline to test this.

BigBird likes this.
  11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Oh my.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

:crackup:No! Maybe...

But but I hit my head and I neeeed it. :D

Plus I’m only 38 so I’m still in denial about aging...

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Busy signal. My parents were too check for call waiting.

Come to think of it, my childhood home still has a landline. My step father refuses to get a cell phone.

Shenanigans likes this.
  14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

They do. Somewhere in India.

t500racer likes this.
  15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

This isn't dinosaur old but used to play doom 1v1 over dialup modem. Noone could use the phone and if they picked up connection got fucked, or if someone answered while the guy was trying to connect,we had to start all over again.

Just old enough to remember rotary phones. Me and my wife's old man were talking about it one day and she asked WTF we were talkin' about. We had a good laugh.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    gixxernaut likes this.
  16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You, used to play original Warcraft late at night with my buddy....damn modem would screeth so loud while connecting i used to jam a pillow in the back of the PC to quiet it down during connection so it wouldnt make so much racket...

Ah the good old days....

Back in Yugoslavia, we had the only phone in the neighborhood....yea top that bitches! First to have a VHS player....it was called Lucky Goldstar....which later on re-branded itself and became a powerhouse electronics company....maybe you've heard of it? LG?

MachineR1 and Boman Forklift like this.
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Only Missis Kawhiggins....

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The '64 world's fair had video phones so smart phones are "old tech". When I was a kid the Franklin Institute had a pair of phones, one was a dial the other was a push button....you would time yourself on each and it would calculate how much time you saved...Oh the wonders of the modern world.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I have a landline but there are no phones hooked up to it. It comes with the Comcast package.
    If I had a phone, though, I'd push the zero just so we can get an answer to the original query.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm at the office. I tried dialing "0". There is a list of options you need to go through, but if you choose "0" again, you will get the operator.