1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to pull out the engine to change the cam chain gsxr1000 K7

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mpp12, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Do I need to pull the engine to do this work in my bike...

Sugestions Ideas.

The bike has yoshimura intake adjustable sprocket and APE adjustable exhaust sprocket.

Thanks

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

3. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Do I have to change the tensioner also?

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

I'm curious how you can need a chain and not guide and tensioner rails, or put another way, how can the chain be faulty while nothing else is?

5. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Usualy the tensioners are fine...

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Put a manual tensioner in.

I have seen a couple of broken cam chains in that model. I replace them routinely when doing rebuilds.

7. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Whats the advantage of the manual tensioner?

the interesting part is that engine must have like 20K kms at most, and you can hear the chain sound. nothing crazy but never the less a sound.

8. 418

418 Expert #59

:wow::tut:

*knocks on wood*

9. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

I have a manual tensioner in my tool box, but using the stock thing since I dont know how to tighten the manual one correctly. no one has given me a straight up answer.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Less friction, less likely to fail.

The APE instructions say:

"To set the tensioner adjustment, rotate the engine forward while screwing the tensioner bolt in. When you feel the engine tensioner parts (guide, rollers, etc.) make contact with the moving cam chain, back the tensioner bolt out 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut.

DO NOT over-tighten the cam chain, as cam chain giude damage could occur. Be sure jam nut is tight against the tensioner body when complete."

My own version:

Make sure all the slack is at the rear by rotating the engine forward. Install the tensioner, tighten it until it contacts the guide, then add half a turn. When everything is together, start the engine, let it idle. Back the tensioner off until you get some chain noise, then tighten it up just enough to stop the noise. Add a quarter turn and tighten the locknut.

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Would you replace the cam chain on a stock street bike with 19,000 miles, while the motor was out of the frame and head was off?

Sorry for the threadjack OP.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Absolutely.

13. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

My last engine, I had to disasemble only got 30k kilometers of hard core street racing... and the chain was very damaged...

If you see the chain you can feel the lightest gap then you need to replace the chain.

14. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Changed the chain, less noise but still sounds....

15. gapman789

Any tricks/tips to getting the starter clutch gear nut off to get the cam chain off?

16. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Impact pistol....

17. gapman789

Yeah, that's what I've been told...haven't done it yet...just checking to see if there's something else to it.

Were you able to torque it back down properly without having the 'special tool' to hold the starter clutch gear in place?

18. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

I just tightened with the impact driver again...

you dont even need to take the sliders off the engine to pull the chain out.

19. gapman789

Seems like an awfully important nut, not to tighten to spec?

Hell, I got the engine out of the frame and head already off.
    Should be a piece of cake. :up:

Thanks

20. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Took the head cover out again, almost all the valves where very thight. in piston 1 2 valves where cero clearance.

The mechanic told me that this was normal since this engine has seen top speed racing all the time...

any sugestions....