1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do built motors use tighter valve clearances

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mike-guy, Dec 19, 2017.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Yup. Very specific bolt, don't swap it out for a bodywork fastener. And like Rick says, replace the gasket. They're cheap (just like me).

2. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Bike is an 09 gsxr 600 but motor could be from a 06-09 for all I know.

3. mike-guy

You guys reuse all the rubber ones? Not that I've done a ton of this but I always have, if the beebs says no no then I wont.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That photo is an 06 tensioner. There’s a pin and a spring on there behind the bolt. Pull the bolt, remove the pin and spring, push the tensioner foot all the way in, install the tensioner with a new gasket onto the case, bolt it on, then install the pin, spring, and bolt with gasket. When you turn the engine slightly backwards via the crank bolt, the tensioner will set itself.

Luckily it’s not an 09 tensioner. Pain in the ass.

5. mike-guy

Just please tell me that if I have an 06 head on this thing that all the torque specs and sequences are the same because I am following a 08/09 manual.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I am not sure. They will be very close. It depends on the bolts and if they changed them. Try downloading an 06 manual- obviously you need it. Cheap insurance.