1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do any of the tracks have loading docks that you can use

Discussion in 'General' started by kyle carver, Feb 22, 2019.

1. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

I’ve just bought a new truck and it’s looking like I will need to transport my bike in the back. Damn it’s high. So I was hoping that I have just never noticed some loading docks. Thanks

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

What kind of truck? Unless it's lifted you should be OK. I load/unload my bike into my F150 by myself all the time without issue.

I don't know of any tracks that have loading docks.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just get a pair of curved ramps, One for the bike, and one for you to walk on.

Don't forget to have someone video tape it so it can wind up in one of those bike loading fail compilation videos should things go wrong. :)

4. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

You just lift it in, of use a ramp? ;-)

Have you seen the graduated/multi level one at the Tails of the Dragon Resort? Several levels, way cool

5. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

1. Buy a long curved foldable ramp preferably an atv one so you have space to walk it up.
    2. Try to find a hill.
    3. Bring plenty of beer and offer said beer to the people around you at the track to help you load/unload.

Edit: you also could also do a hitch carrier and then have your entire bed to put stuff in.

BigBird, NemesisR6 and K51000 like this.
  6. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

It’s a standard 2500 4x4. Unloading some stuff from the old f150 and I realize how high this thing is. I’m trying not to become a staring role in one of those unloading disasters. I’ve seen a couple and would rather pass on that experience

K51000 likes this.
  7. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I just saw one at Tally last weekend...have not noted anywhere else though. With enough people on hand...I don't think it will be an issue...

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Summit point has a retaining wall about 12-16" high that people back up to. You block the roadway, so do it early. It also winds up in the grass, so it sucks if it is raining.

9. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Used a curved ramp for years into a GMC 2500 4x4. Never once had an issue. 1 ramp for the bike, and a milk crate to step on while clutching the bike up while walking beside it.

K51000 likes this.
  10. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

With you ramp available- This is IMHO the best way when it's in the bed. Sorry, but you won't be a youtube star if you do it this way

11. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Ahh I’ve seen to many cooler, crates etc fails at the motocross track to ever try that. At least with a wide ramp or two ramps you can cinch them to the truck so they don’t move.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  12. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

This is why I want a Mazda B2200 mini truck on airbags for moto transport. No need for specialty ramps or loading docks.

BigBird, Phl218 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  13. I used two folding aluminum ramps with my 4x4. One for the bike, one to walk up next to it. I put griptspe on them for traction, as the ramps were slippery, especially in the rain. Never had a problem loading or unloading by myself, even with big, heavy bikes.

14. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just use a strap to run from the ramp to a secure place on the truck and make sure the ramp can't shit out when the bike is pushing itself up the ramp. Just like with climbing a ladder, do it right and you won't get hurt.

skidooboy likes this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Couldn't you just load it facing backward and then when you get
    there start it up and gun it off the back?
    Worth a try, I think.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Shannonville had a nice ramp made out of pressure treated. I think they built it for the evening track day guys more than the racers.

17. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I have a 4x4 2500HD, and I do it on my own all the time. I'm 5'2". You'll be fine :)

Oh, and lots of solid advice in here already. Having help at the track (which should never, ever be a problem) makes it super easy as well.

joec likes this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You're the same height as my wife. :Poke: :D

19. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Get a hitch carrier. I have a single and a dual rail and it's too easy.

BigBird likes this.
  20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should youtube some 'unloading motorcycle fail'. Go buy yourself a $400 open trailer.

Marid2apterbilt likes this.