1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dislocated lunate bone

Discussion in 'General' started by Muz720, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Dislocated my lunate bone in my wrist from a crash this passed weekend at Roebling. It required surgery closed reduction so they didn't have to cut me to move it back in place.. everything I have read says its a big deal with six months recovery minimum! was wondering if anyone else has gone though this ?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I haven't gone through this but I just wanted to comment that this is not surprising. If you look at injuries in MotoGP, broken wrists seem to be just about the only ones they just cannot ride around.

3. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

It sounds about right. My hand ortho told me that the hand/wrist always take the longest to get back to 100%.

I broke my 2nd and 3rd metacarpals in my right hand almost 3 months ago and I still get fatigue in my hand and stiffness in my fingers even doing hand exercises everyday. I wish I broke the metacarpals in my left hand or any other bone instead as it would be more enjoyable to ride a bike right now. :crackup:

Once you start therapy, push through the pain, it will make recovery go faster.

4. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

I had a scaphoid fracture with surgery and I was casted for 16 weeks. Its a common wrist bone injury. My understanding is that the issue with wrist injuries is that there is not a lot of good blood supply going on there so any healing that does occur is long and slow. Fortunately I am about 9 months post surgery and it has no impact on my quality of life or my ability to ride. If I would have been impatient it's possible that I would have arthritis or even worse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Fractured and dislocated my lunate bone and tore the entire carpal tendon. Had to have surgery with pins and a screw. Consider yourself lucky the dislocation is all you got. Make sure you take it easy allowing the blood, tendons, and muscles provide blood to the scaphoid otherwise you'll have a life long disability in that hand.

K51000 likes this.
  6. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Knew it was a big deal when the radiologist and ER doc found me a hand surgeon and Said I was going for a ride... had the procedure the next day..... .

7. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Dislocated the lunate, which damaged the nerve and set my hand on fire years ago. It's still burning.

Had pins put in to hold the lunate in place while the repair healed. Also had carpal tunnel surgery to try and relieve the burning pain (it didn't).

Told the doctor I didn't feel right the day after surgery (everything is outpatient now you now!) His PA gave me stronger pain meds and sent me home. Never looked under the dressings.

When I went in to have the stitches pulled the nurse gasped and ran out of the room. My wrist was oozing green. I puked and began to faint. Some super resistant infection.

Next thing I know I'm in a hospital bed with my wrist strapped to an IV pole to keep it elevated. Pumped full of antibiotics and pain killers for a week. Daily wound scrubbings. Fun.

Released, wound nurse visits me every other day for a month. Still on oral antibiotics.

Wound appears healed, start therapy. Therapist uses a scar pump on the wrist. Crazy blister appears. Wound re-opens a day later, starts oozing green again. No doctor will touch me. They've got me on every antibiotic, including one for Anthrax.

Six months of this shit I finally find a retired hand surgeon who will operate. They went in and removed all the small wrist bones and infected tissue. More antibiotics.

All told six surgeries and a year of my life lost. They wanted to do another surgery to fuse the wrist that would require a skin graft from my thigh. Said I would not be able to live with the pain. I told them to get fucked.

That was a decade ago. It sucked.

8. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

sorry to hear that so far things are looking good the pain is for the most part gone before nothing would touch it bor Oxytocin perks or fentanyl I feel pretty lucky

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I remember you going thru that, it was a nightmare for you.

10. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

^^^^x 1,000 to this^^^^

This is a very similar story to which my hand surgeon at Union Memorial explained to me. Fortunately I landed on the rotation of arguably one of the best hand surgeons in the US, Dr. Ryan Katz, Baltimore. Google or YouTube him. He saved a guy's hand that was mutilated by a helicopter blade, unreal magic he pulled on that one.