1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt vs. minis? What translates over to road racing the best?

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Dec 2, 2020.

1. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

I would go XR / CRf 100 with two sets of wheels. I did that for a long time and had a lot of fun. I would use the BT45 in certain flat track situations or even for grass tracks to slide around on and make it more difficult. The bike won't do the best on jumps since it doesn't have a cradle frame but it seems like your buddies track isn't gnarly anyways.

You can always go real dirtbike too. I went road race > mini moto > supermoto> Flat track > and then full time MX. I sold my R6, 100's, supermoto, and flat track bike and buying a new YZ450 to just focus on MX going forward. It's cheap, hella fun, and challenging as fuck. I'm finally starting to get the hang of it after doing some racing but basically everything from the road race / asphalt side doesn't translate over. However, everything from the dirt side of things do and will only make you a better all around rider.

Final note, any time on any bike is good so do what you want haha

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Your post is full of cunty condescending Moto dork judgements.

Also 99% correct. I was one of those guys. I used to ride on the ice in the winter, and I’d fuck up all the local Moto guys. One day one of them invited me to ride his MX track. In his words, “You’d be a weapon in the dirt”.

Turns out he was wrong or just fucking with me. My first day riding moto at age 30 was humbling to say the least.

I eventually became a decent Vet A guy, but that road was paved with brain trauma and orthopedic surgery. The learning curve in Moto is infinitely steeper, longer, and more painful.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You don't have some ratty old leathers and boots laying around? Just add a decent dirt helmet and goggles.

"dirt" can mean a lot of things... I raced a couple years of MX (no huge jumps at the little tracks in the mid 80's) and think it helped my later roadracing a lot, but clearly the pros today do more flat track than anything. Really, anything with a loose surface to teach you body positioning and slide comfort/control will help. I doubt "serious" MX or gnarly woods riding will translate as well to RR.

Senna, TurboBlew and Blammo like this.
  4. Blammo

Blammo Well-Known Member

Also, if anyone in Ohio has a field w/ a flat track or trails and would like someone to bring an XR100 to slide around with them, I'm willing to take one for the team and help out. :beer:

5. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

Most MX tracks have intermediate courses (especially in Ohio) with people riding XRs, TTRs and a plethora of Chinese pit bikes. Would be a good place to get your feet wet learning how to turn with little table tops.
    My wife has a TTR that I used to use chasing my son before he moved up to the main tracks.

6. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I have a lot of fun on my CRF125F on the intermediate tracks. When I took it on the big boy course, it really wasn’t fun or helpful. Intermediate or flat tracks are great on it though.

7. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

For sure. Anything over a foot or 2 of air on the intermediate track even with BBR springs front and rear and that suspension will bottom out big time.

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

A play bike will teach you a lot about bike dynamics. I wouldnt worry about making a motard out of it, just ride it on the dirt.
    you can get all the gear you need for a play bike for well under a grand. No point buying gear like your racing the outdoor nationals to putt around on a KLX140.
    A entry level pair of boots, knee pads a armor vest and helmet and goggles are all you need.
    JMO

pscook, Senna and Blammo like this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You didn't come off mean or as a douche. I'm aware of what the KLX140 is, and should have been a bit more clear in my original OP as I was really looking for input on a dirt mini vs. a road mini.

My dirt riding would nearly be 100% at my buddy's place which is way too small to use a full-size enduro or MX bike at.

Hare Scrambles, Enduros, MX or even trail riding aren't really of interest right now and are probably poor choices to start doing for the first time at nearly 30.

I'm very much aware I'm going to suck on dirt for quite a while. :crackup:

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Nah no old leathers - still on my first set. I do have some old RR boots, though.

I think you're right - something like flat track is probably more what I'm looking for.

Appreciate all the input guys.

11. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I bought some used gear on CL 200 bucks including boots.

Senna likes this.
  12. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

XR/CRF-100 would be bang for the buck.
    In flat track form you will learn some awesome throttle / rear wheel spin control. Not to mention discipline while the bike tries to buck your butt off.

At a mini track the bike will teach corner entry and using proper lines. It will be about keeping momentum up.

My kids been doing flat track past few months and just lit their mini road track on fire last week. One was using a near stock CRF-50 and was giving the Groms and Supermoto’s fits! His confidence was sky high coming off the dirt.

My other boy was just about untouchable on a 160cc machine until he got a bit cocky and lost his front in a high speed corner.

I think you are definitely in the right thought process!

Blammo and Senna like this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Come down to Fl end of the month and rent some of mine. I have crf100, drz125, crf150F, and klx 140's to try. That way you ride what fits YOU before you spend 2-3k on something before you try it.

Just a thought. Then you can also see if you want to slide around, or if you want to hit trails and jump....

Kurlon, skidooboy and Senna like this.
  14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

To answer the question in the first post, choose the one that gives you the most seat time then ride it a lot. Don’t worry about choosing between dirt and asphalt or making all sorts of tire and wheel mods at first, just ride a lot and learn what it has to teach you. Certainly dirt is more forgiving at first and will teach you more at the beginning. For an adult sized rider I’d vote for one of the larger of the small bikes to give you more of the dynamics of a full sized motorcycle, and to teach you more. More wheelbase, wheel size, room for your legs etc. I think a 100 is too small for what you want. I got my boys a pair of TTR125’s when they were little and they (and I ) rode them a ton then sold them to some other guy with two sons to teach them to ride. They are incredibly fun and you can teach yourself all sorts of stuff about riding with one.

bullockcm and Senna like this.