1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt ramp advice

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Sep 30, 2021.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Soooooo I got a new place that is currently being upgraded to how I want. There is a 40x60 metal building that I am adding stuff like power, insulation, climate control etc.

The building was built on a slight slope that he notched out. However there is no pad just the door then it has a fairly sharp dirt ramp down to the grade. Long term I would like to build a pad maybe as long as 40' so I can wash vehicles including the RV. Short term the ramp is to steep and I can get truck and trailer in just barely but no chance on the RV.

So background done what is recommended to build a ramp so that it is stable and later able to not bust up my concrete. I was considered getting 50 tons of chirt and building it up in 6" or so layers. Rolling each layer with a lawn roller of 500lbs. That should get me at least a usable ramp if not a level section for concrete.

Any advice from those who work in dirt?

2. sheepofblue

Oh and currently I have no water available so I cannot spray it down.

3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Dirt? Use Crusher Run.

RichB and Sabre699 like this.
  4. sheepofblue

Will it compact enough? The ramp could be 3-4 deep. Didn't know that vs chirt. Thanks for the comment

kangasj likes this.
  5. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just kidding, but to build up 3-4 ' you'll need more than a lawn roller. Soil will settle at least 10% if you can't water it in so the alternative is to rent a smaller version of this and compact in layers as you said. 4-6" of crusher run on top is a good idea too, it compacts great but would be costly for that amount.

It may be worth talking to a grading contractor who has the right equipment. Sometimes they have fill dirt that they need to get rid of and can make you a better deal. We got 200 yards to fill behind my office for free because the company next door was building on and had to get rid of the dirt.

sheepofblue likes this.
  6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Not familiar with chirt, around here they use shale as fill. There's soft shale and hard shale, obviously the soft stuff won't work for your needs. Don't cheap out, rent a heavy duty roller from the rental place and pack that sh*t down. Address drainage while you're at it. Water is the enemy, it must drain off and around without running against.

sheepofblue likes this.
  7. sheepofblue

I think chirt is a local thing https://bamadirt.com/materials/dirt-sand-soil-materials

Thankfully drainage is pretty easy as it will be in the north center while there is a grade that run from the northeast corner to the southwest. So between the grade flowing stuff away and the road ditch being on the other side of the hedge row the water tends to go away nicely.

8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Not what I thought..
    I thought this was a back yard mx track question..
    You should also do that!

dtalbott and Banditracer like this.
  9. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

#metoo

ToofPic and dtalbott like this.
  10. sheepofblue

Got a plan to put a dirt track in for 110's

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Remote control sheepsfoot roller. do it every few inches. My pool contractor used one to fill in a slope away from my pool. Still stable and zero recession from the patio after 5 years. Or so my ex who still lives there tells me.

[​IMG]

dtalbott likes this.
  12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

We use it for road and driveway bases. 3-4 what inches?..and yes, it compacts very nicely.

13. sheepofblue

Sorry feet. Inches would be easy and I agree I would use crusher run. When I create more drive or fix what he did that will be the plan. I am thinking I need to build this up then top it with crusher run.

kangasj likes this.
  14. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Not what I thought either .. I was thinking about a totally different Dirt Ramp :D

ToofPic likes this.