1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Husky te125 would be a killer woods bike.

2. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Only WR250F I would touch right now is the 15 WR250F all new and basically a YZ250F MX package with woods compliant suspension, backwards slant motor like the 450, headlight, tail light, speedo with nice instrument panel. Can be made a legal road dual sport fairly easy. The WR will need the race ecu $110 bucks and either uncork the stock muffler or replace it with the nice GYTR slipon muffler made by FMF. Once you install the race ecu and have access or purchase the programmer box for $281 you can tune the maps to any riding condition and it's very easy to use.

Any WR250 outside the 15 F model is just a dated package.

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

But is still a very good bike.

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Never said it was bad just dated in comparison to the new one which is a major upgrade to the previous version.

5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

6. Just got my ktm 300, a lot faster than I thought it would be. Just did a very small ride in the wet before I left for the airport but it's very easy to ride once I adjusted the power valve thingy to level= newb.

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok so I looked at an older ('07) 250 XCW the other day, it's amazing how good something could look in a photo and then look completely worse in person....lol. I passed, I wanted something in newer condition than my old 450 which was in actually pretty good condition .... AND equipped with an E-start, this one didn't.

So today I went to go look at a '12 250XCF-W and brought her home with me. It was in much better condition than the '07 but the bodywork was a little more dung up than I was hoping, but hey, it's a dirt bike that's what they're for, right?

With that said, I'd like some advice from the motorheads here on my next move, bike has roughly 1,9xx miles and 155 hrs, my guess is it's due for a valve check?

Although it sounds good, I don't hear anything tapping or knocking, I'm wondering if I should do that in the very least before my first day ride....thoughts? Unnecessary? Not time yet?

ANY other must do checks, PLEASE do tell, I'd like this one to last for a few years.

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I have quickly figured out that dirt bike guys are, for the most part, fucking idiots when it comes to knowing the actual condition of their bike.

"Yeah bro, like new"

You show up and the bitch looks like it's been kart wheeled down Mt. Everest. Don't get me wrong, I understand dirt bikes are gonna be dirt bikes. But that is far from "like new" condition (or whatever the fuck they call it).

When I read "mint" or like "like new", that means you could put it on a show room and it'd pass for literally a new motorcycle.

Don't even get me started on the fucking rejects that say "it just needs this $20 part and it'd be perfect, it's worth much more fixed..."

Because what fuck tard wouldn't put $20 into the bike to fetch a few hundred more? That's not the issue, tardo, obviously you know your bike is a POS and there's much more wrong than said $20 part.

Ugh. I'm about to give up on looking for a dirt bike simply because I'm tired of dealing with idiots.

Senna likes this.
  9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Or the guy that throws on $100 worth of plastic, a <insert energy drink> sticker kit and rattlecans / scotchbrites the boot scuffs then thinks their turd with Cheng Shin tires, stretched out chain, trashed sprockets, dry bearings, etc. is worth almost new price...

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Beat up bodywork is cheap to replace and means nothing. I would check valves, change oil to something you trust, grease suspension because they are always ignored, grease steering head bearings for the same reason, check chain tension and condition and take a good look at the cables for fraying or kinking at the controls at a minimum.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

This is how I felt just after looking at the 2stroke 250 the other day....as a matter of fact, I told my wife that I was done looking for the year!
    I was that disgusted!

To add to your rant, anyone who's been involved in motorcycling for a number of years can also tell ya that you won't get even half of what you put in a bike, aftermarket gear wise, it's a given. And yet, you have so many clowns who tack on practically brand new prices of those parts to let's say what KBB 'suggested value' (SV) might be.....now before someone gets nutty with the mere mention of KBB, let me tell you something, a LOT of bikes seem to be sold within their range, it's closer than you'd think.

The guy selling the 2T the other day, tried tacking on almost a grand to KBB's SV and it was beat up. Zip ties holding the fan shroud in place, smoking like a mosquito truck, NO speedo or hour gauge...like I'm supposed to just take his or the former 2 owners before him word on the amount of hours that motor/bike had.

Frustrating to say the least!

As badly as I wanted to give the 2T a try, my neighbors would have KILLED ME, I wanted the ability to ride in my wooded backyard with my boy, I was mildly concerned with his lil DS80 2T with it's buzzy drone bothering them...well, after listening to two different 2T's in the past week, no way was I going that route. So maybe the next time.

For anyone in the know, I watched a YT video on checking valve clearance on a '13 500XCW....is that motor similar enough to my 250? It actually looked doable, I think I'm going to check the valves this w/e.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I had a friend that owned a "dirt bike" only shop. You dont even know the 1/2 of it. He started charging a flat $100 estimate fee for all bikes that came through just to keep the empty pocket idiots at bay. Then all parts had to be paid for, in full, prior to ordering.
    The only demographic worse is the quad goons that sink their stuff in muck & mire every weekend. Dont even bother to hose em off:D

13. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

I have a "lightly" used KTM 450 I will sell you. Check out vchss.net. Now is the time that the VA harescramble guys are getting rid of their bikes.

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

here's a piece of advice for buying used.. Buy a used bike, from a 35+ harescramble/enduro racer. For real. Nobody takes care of a dirt bike, like a middle aged, median income, weekend warrior offroad racer. Nobody. these guys have more money to throw at their bike than they know what to do with, and the things are typically taken care of like a classic car. buying from a young guy for the most part, you are likely buying a clapped out bike that has had just enough done to it to keep it running.. Rule of thumb of course.. there will always be exceptions in both above examples.

GSmann likes this.
  15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

HEY! :mad: Don't talk shit about me and my overflowing bin of new parts!

Having said that, anyone wanna buy a 2007 CRF 250X? :crackup:

16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yep, when I bought my 250xc at the beginning of the year the guy I got it from literally had a full shop setup and had all the spare parts he would ever need on hooks so that he could replace anything at any time. Of course I still tore it down to the frame but only the main swingarm pivot needed replacing and there was actually GREASE in the linkage and head bearings. I was amazed.

17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You ever notice how every single dirt bike listed has also "just been rebuilt"?

:rolleyes:

18. MELK-MAN

if you are serious though, take that advice i posted just above. Even a spare bike from someone like that would be better than most. Many people take off the stock plastic when a bike is new and replace with aftermarket, then throw the oem back on when they sell. gotta look past new plastic (goes without sayin).

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:No shit. Unless there is a piston box in the trashcan when I look at the bike I am not believing that one.
    Melka does make a good point though. Old guys usually tend to take better care of their stuff and are more brittle so do not run at redline nearly as much. An old guys bike will almost always be in better shape.:D

20. MELK-MAN

no offense taken ;) lol