1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

there are some really tall pro mx/sx guys, and they dont use risers. just sayin. Benny Bloss is 6' 5". dean wilson is 6' 1", adam cianciarulo is 6' 1" or 2". Ski

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Raise the bars such that your hands fall comfortably in a relaxed position when standing and you're not bent over. Makes a huge difference for long days of trail riding or racing. I raised the bars on my XR650R approximately 2" and used the highest bend I could find that had a comfortable sweep (Pastrana KX?) when racing Baja. I raised the bars 1.75" on my KTM 950SE - works for 12 hour+ days riding the BDR's. I'm 6"-2" with a 36" sleeve.

Motion Pro will make you whatever length of throttle, clutch or brake cable you want. However, they tend to get something wrong about 25% of the time, so document everything in every conversation (Rutherford's First Rule of Evidence: If it ain't written, it didn't happen). They'll make it right if you can prove they screwed it up instead of your measurements. But, it takes time and that means you're without a ride.

I make my own cables. Flanders has everything you need. From BSA's and Nortons to Supermono's to Cagiva's, road racers to desert racers to trials bikes with all sorts of bars, clipons, etc., I've made several dozen different throttle, clutch and brake cable configurations. For hydraulics, I use a local industrial fitting place that services heavy equipment. Draw and measure everything with angles and offsets. I tried making hydraulics for awhile, and it wasn't worth the tooling and pieces and I wasn't good at it.

YMMV

Cheers,

Dave

turbulence likes this.
  3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

I mean, that’s fair, but let’s not pretend that bike setup is a one size fits all situation. Dude has probably been riding since before he can walk.. maybe he’s just used to it, or just prefers it that way, or any number of things.

All I know, is that a newbie dirt rider, someone who’s already not used to standing up on a bike while riding, spending the time hunched over doesn’t feel confidence inspiring at all. My weight is forward biased and it feels like I’m going to go over the bars if I hit a rock or a root or drive the nose into the face of a hill/jump.

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yup, Luke at Core moto could make whatever ya need length wise..

cav115 and turbulence like this.
  6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You can build your own brake lines easily. Parts Unlimited has a couple brands you can order whatever you need for hose length, bunch of choices for ends, different angles etc. I've done several for customers.

turbulence likes this.
  7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I'm completely rebuilding a 2004 YZ250 right now. I think I like to punish myself because every single part on this entire machine needs to be replaced. LOL. Waiting for the cylinder to get back from US Chrome and I should be good to go. It will be completely fresh and I'll have 4k total into it.

upload_2021-3-5_10-18-34.png upload_2021-3-5_10-18-46.png

upload_2021-3-5_10-19-4.png upload_2021-3-5_10-19-21.png upload_2021-3-5_10-19-35.png upload_2021-3-5_10-19-51.png upload_2021-3-5_10-20-6.png

turbulence likes this.
  8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

My wife is very impressed with the bicycle safety gear for 4 year olds :D

20210310_140750.jpg

cav115, noles19, turner38 and 3 others like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10. rzracer482

rzracer482 New Member

11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

I guess not!

12. grasshopper

Finally got all the parts needed to assemble the bottom end. The trans was a complete cunt. You only have to hold the output shaft, main shaft, 3 shift forks orientated correctly and the shift drum in the correct way and lower it down into the engine case at the same time without it all falling apart in your hand. Only took me 30 times and 3 beers to get it in there right.

upload_2021-3-24_10-19-56.png

Boman Forklift and Sabre699 like this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Did you say any bad words in the process ? :D

14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Just bought a 2021 CRF 50 for my 5 y.o. son. We're going to pick it up tomorrow night and he's not expecting anything ! I haven't been this excited about buying a new bike in years :D
    The few used ones available were going for ridiculous prices. I saw a 2007 going for $2200. I paid 2500$ brand new ! This market is completely idiotic...
    Can't wait to ride with him this summer :D

15. grasshopper

Me? HA!!! You should come over sometime when I'm mounting ice tires. I like to listen to death metal cranked up to max before I initiate a self inflicted blood transfusion.

I'm hoping the twins will be ready later this summer for something with a motor. They still need to gain some confidence on the bicycles before I put motors under them. But yea man. Sounds like you're a proud papa. Congrats! You can't put a price on quality time with your kids especially if it involves 2 wheels

Boman Forklift and cha0s#242 like this.
  16. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Bought this shack in the woods on Monday- shouldn't be a problem to cut some single track to start :)

genMbmob.22101204_43_1.jpg

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Got an address? :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Cape Cod. I'll play nice with the neighbors and get the electric Freeride and sx-e for the little one and myself to ride on our property. Closest mx track is 40 minutes away from there, trail is tbd.

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Any knee brace recommendations? Leaning towards Leatt X-frame, but am open to suggestions.

20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Look at mobius. I have some nice AVS carbon ones but the mobius just seem awesomer.

Senna likes this.