1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Steep steep hills, I’ll kill it and drag the clutch to use engine for braking. Never actually letting the engine spin any real amount.

Long hills,I’ll find neutral and coast. Did that yesterday on the way back to the truck at Windrock. Place sucks for bikes, at least what we rode did. Hard pack mug littered with boulders is no fun.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    MELK-MAN and turbulence like this.
  2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I like it to practice my rear braking to just the edge of dragging the tire.

3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Shit is getting real! just got my custom plate/row number for the Sumter NEPG race, next Sunday. Ski
    Sumterplate2.jpg

ToofPic, TurboBlew, Sabre699 and 5 others like this.
  4. turner38

You’ll be a full hour ahead of me! I’m on row 71. Looking forward to it!
    Rode the bike since all the updates?

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

not yet, ice and snow up here, no tires for that, at this time. hoping I can shake it down on thursday, before the race. Ski

6. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

so you wanna ride motorcycles but you're tall?

this is me at 6'5" on a 300 xc.. next mod will be some bar risers. for anyone that's put on bar risers, how high can i get away with before i have to lengthen brake lines?

[​IMG]

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. turbulence

on the plus side, it seems much easier to source gear that mostly fits vs street gear. my one piece leathers are a bit snug.

fasthouse pants fit like a charm. i bought some fox pants originally but those are a good 3" shorter than the fasthouses

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I picked up a couple YZ250s about a month ago. One setup for woods... I'm going to chase some points in B 40+ in D17 this year and see what happens. I'm still kinda on the fence on whether or not I want to put a rekluse in it. I've ridden several friends bikes with it and I can't stand the facts that there's no engine braking and you can't bump start the bike. The woods bike needs some minor maintenance but nothing serious. Picked it for 2500 and it needs about 600 bucks in parts.

The other YZ is cherry. It came with a 2nd set of suspension (forks and shock) and wheels setup for flat track. I set it up for ice for now but I'll be playing around with some flat track this summer as well. Looking for forward to playing in the dirt more this year.

upload_2021-2-12_9-55-55.png upload_2021-2-12_9-57-16.png upload_2021-2-12_9-59-33.png

upload_2021-2-12_10-0-47.png

Attached Files:

Boman Forklift, pjdoran, bEeR and 2 others like this.
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

District 17.. that covers part of where i used to live i think, central IL :)

10. grasshopper

Yea it's mostly northern and central illinois. There's also the IXCR series which is mostly in Indiana and I think they have one in Kentucky. Gonna try and get my woods game and flat track game on this summer.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. turner38

I’m thinking about putting a recluse in my bike too. Can see it being a advantage in the last hour of scrambles and possibly even the first. Ride it a gear higher and let the clutch work... seems like it helps carry momentum.

12. grasshopper

If your bike is button start only / no kick starter I discourage it. Battery goes bad and you’re SOL

13. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

when i got the reverse mount scotts damper i had to use the 1 inch riser plate on my 125sx... no issues. i'd get the widest, tallest bars with the least amount of sweep possible too.

turbulence likes this.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

You can screw in the adjuster on the slave of the hydraulic clutches to bump start them. I'd assume you can do the same with the cable clutches at the adjuster.

Rekluse clutches are fucking awesome.

MELK-MAN and pscook like this.
  15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

kind of amazing how u think frozen crunchy dirt will have grip but it blows out like a flat sheet of ice...

turbulence likes this.
  16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Because it is...

A flat sheet of ice? Except it's brown.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Rekluse auto clutch is amazing for enduro and long races.. the top national guys seem to not use em, but.. we ain't gettin paid ;) In harescrambles, a guy that regularly wins my class, and is 2nd overall a ton, uses an auto clutch on his husky 450.
    I won't even ride a bike without rekluse in fact. On the 250 four strokes, i use the clutch lever A LOT. Almost 1,500 hours between 5 ktm's iv'e owned, never had an issue with the bike not starting due to not having a kick starter. 3 years or so on a battery, slightest notion it's not cranking enough, replace battery. And as spooner said, you can back the slave cylinder adjuster out, and push start the bike if need be. But it's real nice just pushing that magic button.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I like your combination wood stove/drill press/ vise in the back. :D

grasshopper likes this.
  19. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the lines. From that pic you need more rise to get to a better standing position than you can get with the stock lines. I'm 6'7" and I got the highest bars I could find plus 2" rox risers on my KDX and I'm still a little hunched over. You can source custom brake and clutch lines from motion pro - easy peasy.

turbulence likes this.
  20. turbulence