1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What's a decent price for a Husky FE 250 with a good amount of mods? I'm in Philadelphia and the seller is in NY, FWIW. Checked cycletrader and there aren't any available to compare to.

Here's a list of mods done to it:

upload_2020-10-19_21-9-40.png

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

How many hours and what is the condition of the bike?

3. SuddenBraking

26 hours, 474 miles. Bike looks absolutely flawless in the video he sent (not sure if I'm able/allowed to post it here). Legit looks brand new.

4. Spooner

What year?

5. SuddenBraking

6. Spooner

Well over than the ECU and suspension work there really isn't that much on it but a bunch of plastic stuff. If it had a damper, rekluse, etc it would be more desirable. I'd say like $5,500-$6k. The 4-strokes don't' hold their values like a proper 2-stroke does so its harder to know the pricing. Also on the suspension, unless you needed it lowered you have to factor in that you need to 'un-lower' it so there is a bit of expense there too.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

Guy seemed fairly knowledgeable in the video; mentioned how instead of removing the reeds it used the FC 250 (the non street legal) version instead, etc. Seems like there was very little expense spared in the build.

upload_2020-10-19_21-28-22.png

upload_2020-10-19_21-28-32.png

upload_2020-10-19_21-30-2.png

8. Spooner

Yeah looks pretty good for sure. What are you wanting to do with it?

9. SuddenBraking

Prolly putt putt around down the Pine Barrens. I'm very much a novice dirt rider, so figured getting a 250 (even being extremely oversized for them at my current 245 weight) made more sense than getting a 350 or a 500.

Might have the occasional MX day as well at Englishtown (about an hour from me) that some friends go to once a month.

10. Spooner

Yeah a 500 is a beast in the woods but a 350 is pretty dang nice for a 4-stroke. What is the guy asking for the husky?

11. SuddenBraking

He's asking for $7,500, but it wasn't an ad he posted up - it was in response to an "interested in purchase of" post I made on ADV a few days ago. Tbh, at the end of the day I'm okay paying a bit of a premium for the bike I'm going to enjoy. I've made enough mistakes trying to save a dollar on the purchase and paying for it 5x in maintenance after the fact, so I'll gladly pay a bit extra for a bike that looks (effectively) brand new.

The only questions I had from the video he sent were how difficult it'd be to set it back to stock height (it's only lowered an inch, FWIW) and what's up with the numbers? He says it was never raced so I'd like to understand that a bit better (says he bought from the previous owner at 19 hours). Regarding the damper, there's a brand new one on there but it was a gift from his kids so he's taking it off.

12. Spooner

Man that seems pretty steep to me. I agree I'm willing to pay more for a better cared for bike but that's only $2k off MSRP for an almost 4 year old bike. If it was dripping in bling that might be one thing but there really isn't much on it other than graphics and a few cheap accessories.

ducnut and SuddenBraking like this.
  13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I was reading the convo these last few posts, and thinking "seller's asking $7500, but I'd pay $7,000 and no more if it was around here." Cool to see price parity from the other side of the country. A 250 isn't bad, but you might feel that it's a bit anemic when you hit the open stuff. Regardless, not a bad deal for a decent bike.

14. SuddenBraking

FWIW, he says there's $3,880 of accessories (it's too blurry to see the whole spreadsheet in the video, but the costs in the pic below should match up with the accessories listed in the screenshot upthread - i.e., you can see that the Vortex ECU was $700, etc.). Also, wasn't planning on simply agreeing at $7,500 - I'll point out that the price is high and try to get something closer to $7,000, but at the end of the day that delta isn't going to move the needle for me.

upload_2020-10-20_7-41-32.png

I'm going to ask him if he's negotiable and throw out $7,000 (for ease of sale, the fact that he hasn't even had to list it and I'm super easy to deal with, etc.), but as I said above not going to lose too much sleep if he holds firm. Although it's 3 years old, with the mileage/hours and the aftermarket parts, I think all else equal I'd take this bike over a stock 2020 bike.

15. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I have the same bike but it's a 350 and it's the orange version. What are the hours om that Husqvarna? And agreed- 99% of the mods on that list are inexpensive little bolt-ons that are good to have but added value I'm not sure. The Vortex ecu is the real deal- it was plus 10 rwhp on the 350.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

For comparison, a DEALER near me has a 2020 KTM 350 XCF for $7k out the door. "$3800" in accessories does not equal raising the price of a 2017 $3800. He's asking WAY too much for a de-restricted, plasticbombed stock bike.

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I agree, what he spent on it does little to increase its worth.
    IMO, you’d be better off picking up a new left over 20 or 19 and having new rather than four years old and been messed with. I’d bet you could buy new for 1,500 more and it will be worth that much more when you get ready to sale it. I personally would buy a 350 over a 250 four stroke if you have ANY riding experience at all.
    Most of the stuff is like, why did he change that???

18. SuddenBraking

25 hours, 500 miles. Agreed there's a bunch of bling that is pretty but doesn't add much to the MSRP, but to your point the Vortex and the FC boot to unlock the engine I find fairly attractive. Also, you guys can't see but the dude's garage was nice as shit and he's got lots of toys and tools which gives me confidence that the bike isn't gonna blow up on me immediately.

I think you're underestimating the street legal premium. Especially around here (Philly/Jersey area) because of the lack of trails that you can ride without being plated. I know I could buy a dirt bike and try to plate it but that is a hassle I'm trying to avoid.

@turner38 Street legal 2021 350s around here are going for at/above MSRP of $11,299.

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The local shop has a 19 listed at 10,199. Seems like I could have bought it for 86ish out the door. Considered it when I picked up my 300. May be worth looking around.
    Pandora’s European Adventures is the name of that place. I bet there are similar deals out there elsewhere.

20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

new? where? best price i have found new around the great lakes, is 10180 otd. i have been shopping, HARD. looking at spending 10k for a new 350, or close to 9 for a used one with 6-25 hours, by my research. 250 xcf's are about 1000 less. i am shopping, help a brother out. :D Ski