1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Litelocs are nice, have them on all the bikes. I do traverse some lengths of road when riding, and the wheel hop has become annoying. My main concern was having a weight come off and twat me in the hand (my kind of luck).

2. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I cannot speak to your luck, or lack thereof. A little duct tape, applied appropriately, always helps. Knock on wood - I've never had a problem in a lot of dirty bike applications and uses. I think you'll like the reduced wheel hop. Of course, taco'd rims won't be helped by wheel weights . . . and knobs are not a smooth ride . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

3. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Need help with setting up a KTM 350 EXC. Friend just bought a used 2013 350 EXC only recommendation (new off road rider). It was bought with very low hours (like 20) and was "stock". I rode it this weekend for the first time. Wow, it's pretty choked up. We pulled the seat and tank and sure enough all the emission stuff is still on it. We adjusted the TPS from .56 to around .64 but didn't seem to have a lot of affect on the bike. From doing a bit of reading it looks like the best bet to get him a bit more pep is to remove the emission stuff, fit an aftermarket end cap ($150 for an end cap???) or find an XC-W/used Q4 exhaust, and then adjust the TPS again. Is it worth it to add a JD tuner?

Trying to keep things cheap, but to me it was not very lively and until it was up in the rev range just didn't have the "blip the throttle" to wheelie over stuff. or wheelie at all. could be I was riding my 500 but it felt really weak. I assume it's the EXC stock setup that sucks the life out of it.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've had great luck with thick lead wire wrapped around the spokes lately. I couldn't get close to balancing my wheels with rim locks without alot of weight.

5. Resident Plarp

Thanks lads! Spoke weights it is.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Prolly make 'em that way cuz that's what you'll be doing most of the time...compared to a 4 stroke which only needs rebuilding if it's been repeatedly banged off the rev-limiter by some hotshot kid who doesn't have to pay the bills.

7. Same with mine, spike weights. Got the idea from adv forum. Too bad I’m too slow to notice any vibration :) on a side note I’m a bit under the weather but my Ktm was running like shit so cleaned the carb, went to what I thought what proper Jetting about March for the weather. I got about 30 jets with the bike and some soares I picked up. The pilot jet that I thought was a 48 pilot jet and a 6.5 slide. After scratching my head and making my baldness even bigger and a couple foiled plugs later figured no way that jets too big as I thought it would be a bit lean if anything. Checked like usual to see if it was clogged. Thought it looked a bit off under a magnifying glass, seems it had been drilled out and was about a 68. Swapped out that and voila, runs better than it ever has. Mind you I only did a couple runs on flat ground. That’s one of those things that you do and leaves you stumped as everything should’ve made it better for all the heat and humidity. One thing I’ve learned with Ktm’s is needles and slides play a bigger part than anything. I’m running a 6.5 slide now with cez needle. In my experience the nozh needles are crap. Probably need to move the clip down one slot but once I feel better I’ll play with that and maybe try a 7 slide as well. Nice having two complete carbs as it’s easier just to swap the whole carb if you think it’s dirty or clogged if you want to ride that day. My bikes set up to ride with my 8 year old so it’s all low speed circuit focus at the moment. I need to get a crf 230 or ttr type bike that the rest of the family can use as well. Mines a stock bore exc 300 with a “bit” of a stroker kit in it so jetting isn’t very comparable to stock jetting. When it’s jetted correctly it’s phenomenal down low right off of idle. It’s actually an 01 with newer suspension. I had a factory 16 husky 450 that was one of their gncc bikes and it was good but honestly I was and am still more comfortable on the old girl. And yes I did get the suspension on it valved for me being quite a bit slower than who raced it. Last year I sold the husky because I didn’t ride it and made a decent profit then sold most of the spares for what I paid for the bike. I liked having a spare bike but there was just too much $ sitting there not being ridden. Hopefully next week when kidneys are back to normal I can get a day to actually flog it a bit with a lighter power valve spring. I have the heaviest one in now as riding with the kids with the light one that power band kick can get a bit sketchy on that thing. When I’m riding I just like it to be up on the power and end the suspense. We also have a lot of hills and rocks here so if you don’t get up on the power quick it doesn’t end well. And recluse clutch imo is the best upgrade to any trail bike along with a linked left hand rear brake setup I made. Damn. I really want to ride now.

8. I’ve been running Dunlop’s as well but that’s just because I was given about 30 tires from an outdoors guy they switched brands. I have the 3 compounds of front and rears I use depending on where I ride all mounted so I can just swap wheels quickly if I’m riding in a different style of terrain that day. If I didn’t have spare wheels I’d pretty much ride what was on the bike. The same guy gave me a bunch of Kenda’s to try as that’s who he swapped over to. There is a front and rear that are non commercial tires that he said mount those and just ride. I only have 2 fronts and 3 rears of those so according to my calculations I have enough tires until 2078.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, that's some Broomery right there! Paragraphs, bro. :D

10. Hey I’m sitting on the ocean fishing and tired

11. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Are any of you guys doing any flat track racing? I'm in the final stages of getting my 13 YZ450 set up for it, I think...

I've got a race coming up next weekend on a 3/8 mile dirt car track. Should be interesting with concrete walls lining the outside of the track...

Currently I've got the front and back lowered 4" from stock. Should the ride height be neutral or biased one way or the other?

thumbnail_Screenshot_20200602-102752_Facebook.jpg

12. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Sorry, don't know the answer to your questions but that looks like fun! Are you running stock wheels on the YZ?

I just picked up a WR400F and am thinking of doing a motard conversion using some of these spare SV or RGV wheels I have lying around.

13. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

For flat track I use the stock rear 19" and bought a 19" hoop and spokes to lace up to the stock front hub.

That track was a blast! Heavily banked and sticky clay. I have a race this weekend at a fairgrounds track. It's flat, slick and the size of a roller skating rink... Definitely going to be a step down in fun, but it'll still be some seat time.

I had this bike in Sumo trim before this, but thinking that I'll leave it set up for flat track.

jksoft likes this.
  14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

You can also run 2 locks.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

kawi announced the 450xc along with a 250xc... $9600 & $8400

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

KTM 150 SX in sumo trim is a freaking riot.

17. Resident Plarp

It’s been an interesting summer. Earned my first speeding ticket in fifteen years and then, this morning , got into an argument with a tree in third gear. Fibula tapped out four inches below the knee.

Hadn’t I been wearing knee braces, it would have hospital time for me.
    663A0D72-9467-477B-9420-9BAA6F4D0492.jpeg

At least the bike fine.

18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Damn trees. Them and "high gravity" locations . . . .

Did you get the fibula set? How long a recovery? Knee is ok?

Cheers,

Dave

19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

are the numbers I just googled of 40+hp real? Those have to be crazy capable on a kart track.

20. Resident Plarp

This isn’t a motorcycle, this is_a_dirt_bike! I took it, and threw it on the ground!

No need to set the bone as the break was about as good as it can be given the circumstances; coming off a corner where the front went up onto the grass and the rear just roosted through the rut. I wasn’t quick enough to point the front back into the trail when the handlebar, foot peg and knee decided to meAt up at almost the same time. I felt my leg get pinched between the bike and the tree right before I tested out the new helmet.

And the moral of the story is ... spend money on good gear.

Actually, the moral of the story is; you can’t trust the system (man).