1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Try the orange flavor Kool-aide, it's reallllly good! Also available in white/blue with that same great orange flavor.

masshole and britx303 like this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

No!:D My mama rode Yamahas and that disease spread to me and now my daughter:crackup:. But I did notice the sea of orange at the 3 scrambles I’ve done so far. It’ll make beating them all the more sweeter on a yammi even if it’s only 1:D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    pscook likes this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

This the best description of the 250FX that I have found.
    https://transmoto.com.au/yz250fx-2017-5-reasons-to-consider-it/
    My friend has one, and compared to his old WR400 and DRZ400, this 250 has everything those had, and lots more, except for a couple of lbs of torque. He loves his 250FX because it's super flexible and does whatever he asks of it. There are some "features" that he has to ride or tune around, but he has a 2015 version whereas the 2017 and newer versions are just that little bit better, technology wise. If I had the coin to get a single dirt bike I would get a 250FX, but I like my WR450 for open areas and my WB165 for everything else. But that 250 does 90% of everything that my other two bikes will do, except have a street plate, which both of my bikes happen to have.

MELK-MAN and britx303 like this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

5. MELK-MAN

"that sounds like a solid plan Cotton, let's see how that plays out for him" .. ;)

britx303 likes this.
  6. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Been racing hare scrambles and enduros for five years on 2 strokes, never had electric start. Still don't.

Currently racing a YZ250 converted to a 300 and a Gas Gas EC300. I purchased a kind of roached 2016 YZ250X yesterday that I will rebuild this fall to race next season.

That said, my 2011 EC300 will be for sale to make some room. You should consider it. Motor rebuilt from the crank up this spring, Lectron carb, too many other goodies to list and enough spare parts to last for years. Bike has won VCHSS races and took me to 3rd overall in 40b this year.

britx303 likes this.
  7. britx303

:D

8. britx303

I thought hard about the gas gas you mentioned, but the possibilty of just getting a new bike now has me leaning towards that route. My roadrace bikes have been nothing but typical vintage headaches the past 2 years and I’m flat burnt out right now........it’ll be nice to finally have something new

9. CBRGriff

CBRGriff Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I got it and I really like it. Coming from an older MX 2 stroke to the 250fx made me realize really fast how much i was missing out. The power is really controllable and in the higher RPMs it pulls pretty hard.

My only complaint about the bike would be its pretty damn tall for me and i'm 6ft with a 34in inseam. Not a big deal on normal woods riding, but when we try to do some hard enduro type stuff it makes life pretty tough.

britx303 likes this.
  10. MELK-MAN

can cut the seat down a bit.. i'm 5'7" and although standing a lot more now, for offroad/enduro, it's nice having a lower seat. If yam doesn't make a low seat for that bike, you can use a sharpie, and draw a line down the sides of the seat foam with cover off. big ass knife and cut, then shape the edges of foam with metal screen or mesh, then replace cover. For woods it's nice when the going gets nasty and ya need feet down..

11. MELK-MAN

this club is in Indiana.. so that's not terribly far, and can likely direct you to other local clubs putting on harescrambles. https://www.facebook.com/MuddobbersMotorcycleClub/

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. britx303

I helped a guy load his yz250fx into his truck after the races sunday,and it seemed really tall. I'm proper Scottish height/build:D.The KTMs that everyone else was on appeared to sit lower......maybe not,but it looked that way. At this point I havent taken the plunge at the dealer yet.........cannot decide what to get, but its narrowed down to 3 bikes,and the 250FX is on that list.Appreciate the input.

14. britx303

Im seeing that Yamaha is making a yz125X, introduced this year............Is this a kids bike?

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's a full size machine, a YZ125 with alternate suspension tuning and in theory a different motor tune to give it a wider power spread for hare scrambles instead of MX. I really couldn't feel a difference between the YZ125 and YZ125X at the demo day I attended, but it was also miserable out and I was being WAY over-cautious.

17. britx303

So "full-size", as in the same as the 250's? Or just a little smaller, but the bigger wheels? Not trying to ask absurd questions,but I cant find real answers anywhere,and the closest dealer is too far to just drop by on a weeknight. I was strongly leaning towards either a yz250X or the FX,but the 125X really caught my attention as a possibility for me to use until my daughter out-performs her current bike in the hare scrambles then get a 250 when she takes over the 125. Basically,im just having "selfish-father guilt" if I go out and get a new bike that only I can ride,so trying to find a happy medium.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's a full size bike, same size, wheels, running the same race classes typically as the 250FX. It's the two stroke equivalent. They are unique to ride, the usable power range is narrow, you need to keep the motor screaming and really practice maintaining momentum on them. On the pipe they're rockets, off the pipe opening the throttle can slow you down, fanning the clutch is a required skill set. (Did I mention I'm going through this learning curve now, at 43, on a KTM 150SX?) The 250FX is an easier to ride bike by virtue of the four stroke motor having a much wider usable power spread, able to lug down to damn near idle and not penalize you too badly for it. The tradeoff is it's heavier, and has a bit more gyroscopic effect from more spinning bits in the motor which also contributes to it 'feeling' heavier in comparison.

19. MELK-MAN

As stated in earlier post, full size bike. A retired military buddy of mine that has some hand and ankle damage from IED , is a beginner rider and started doing some harescrambles. Has a left hand rear brake and a thumb throttle on both.. He just got the yz 125x, and has had a YZF250x. He likes both, but is liking the 125 more. Just melower power but says it will scream up top, but that's not where his rpm's are all that often.
    GNCC xc3 class winner Jessie Ansley is a joy to watch rip on his Trail Jesters (factory support team) ktm 125.. Kid just outright rips. 125cc can be fun for beginners and pros

20. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

so, interesting that the topic of this YZ125 topic comes up, and the start of this thread in general.

I'm sad that I am currently dirt bike less right now, where I live, with the pain in the ass that it is to go ride them, and limited garage space, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I am a respectable mid pack expert, ended up buying a KTM 300. It was a blast, but good god, I quickly learned that I wasn't shit in the dirt (Imagine a street rider doing his very first track day). I got decent relatively quick, probably middle of the road B group rider in the dirt. After having the 300 for a few months, was riding with some buddies and rode my friends KTM 200EXC. I instantly went way the fuck faster on that thing, everywhere. Granted, my suspension wasn't set up as it should have been (it was too stiff and I lacked confidence to push, because it felt like the front was just ping ponging everywhere - a mistake on my part for over estimating my riding capabilities). But that little 200 was awesome. Yeah, at 200lbs there were some times where I was like "OK, throttle all the way twisted, why aren't you going", but the way more tame motor just gave me the confidence to flog that thing that much harder and I got fast real quick. The suspension was also much more aligned to where it should have been, which no doubt helped as well. Just because I'm a shit rider in the dirt doesn't mean I can't tell you what the bike is doing underneath me. Interestingly enough, those couple of hours I spent on that 200 instantly translated into me going faster on my own 300...but I was still outright quicker on the 200.

All that said, I doubt I'll be getting another 300. It's just a hell of a lot of bike. Good god that bike had power, on tap, at any RPM, at any time. Lug it like a tractor, and you could light it up at the flick of the wrist and literally just rocket up any hill you had the nuts to try. I really think the 250FX has my name on it for my next dirt bike, no way I'd even consider the 450FX.