1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. D
    depends what I’m carrying. Zuma, yes. Dirt bike no. I also have an aftermarket spare carrier and 35x12.5’s.

2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've used the little fork gadget in the past. You are correct that it does keep the front of the bike loaded and keeps the suspension from "working". Personally I use tie down straps that use carabiners at each end so I don't have to worry about the thing bouncing and coming unhooked. That's the issue with standard "S" hooks- if your bike bounces around much, it can unhook and you loose your bike. :)

I've got a Versahaul and have carried my 450 a lot on the back. I'm about to give it a shot with my 950 in the near future. I have a 700lb tongue weight for my car, so it should be fine (and air suspension) but I'll take it pretty easy and watch how it does on dirt roads. I tie off the front wheel to keep it from moving, and then the usual 4 tie downs on the ends for stability. My fear (and happened to a buddy even after I warned him) is if the bike sways front to rear a lot the handlebar can blow thru the rear window of the SUV. oops.

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Has anyone rigged a TRS to work with a hitch-mount bike carrier? I’d like to do something akin to this as seen on Pit Bull’s website for my dirtbikes.

75CC5163-604B-4AF8-A9FC-D88E8E6C00CD.jpeg A02C9BF3-2727-457B-83FE-C156E9654EB9.jpeg

L8RSK8R likes this.
  4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Say whaaatttt???

Any other pics showing the whole bike???

Never saw one attached to the FRONT of a truck. Is it a dual receiver style?

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

“whaaatttt”

And yes, more photos on the PB website. No idea on receiver style.

6. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

Dusty today at Highland Park Ga.
    AD38E1E0-2492-4794-9343-375891CEC205.jpeg

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

8. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

SEE!!! I told you the 950 would have SUCKED there today. Especially with the shit mostly worn out Karoo 3 tire on the rear. You would have been picking my bike up and pushing me up that one.

9. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Put plates in the bed of my f350, welding nuts on a second set of plates for the underneath, very easy to remove but haven’t had too yet. I have ktm and crf pins for the dirty bikes and with the old man step in the tailgate and a single ramp loading and unloading is a breeze. It’s also nice if I have to take a race bike somewhere quick.

10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Once you got off the perimeter trail it was fine, and see you need a second bike! Like one with less than 950 cc

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I looked the other night at FE450's but new is out of my price range. very few used ones in the area. but it's on the list.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

13. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

Been there 100 times and it by far THE worst I’ve seen the singletrack. Everything was slicker then usual slickness after a rain. It rained hard all morning as I got ready and the first few trails.

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

+1 for the Mototote. I’ve got the one with the 550 pound capacity and am confident enough with it carrying my 250 that I’m toying with using it to carry my track bike this year.

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I transported a 1988 CBR600 Hurricane from Seattle to Laguna on a Dodge Ram 1500. No issues with the weight on the mototote, but we had air bags for the rear suspension. The front of the truck was still pretty light, but the bike and tote gave us zero problems.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Is Mototote USA-made?

17. SuddenBraking

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’d seen they were in Arlington, TX. However, they ship out of Coppell, TX, and their website wording makes me think they may be made overseas. Seems The Beeb knows everything and figured you may know, since you have one. Thanks!

SuddenBraking likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

You prefer the mototote even with having a truck? Or was the bed filled up with other gear?

The weight is the main concern on the suspension - I've got an 06 Grand Cherokee as my tow vehicle and even with my dirt bike there's a good amount of sag. Was hoping that getting a Suburban or Tahoe would remove suspension issues, but if your 1500 is struggling I wonder if I wouldn't still need bags (in which case I'll get a nicer 3 row SUV than either of those :beer:).

20. SuddenBraking

My guess is if they're not touting that they're manufactured in the USA that they're probably not. That being said, it is a beefy product - the one I have is ~65 pounds and is solid as a rock.

ducnut likes this.