1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct Drive Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by dusty20, Jul 22, 2008.

1. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

I got a direct drive bike last night it seems to be pretty sweet. I needed something to ride/train on and my buddy had this so a quick trade (nitro rc car for the bike) and I now have a training bike. anyone in here have a direct drive bike they ride? It looks pretty cool with no shifting levers or brakes.

2. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

You're talking bicycles right, like a singlespeed or a fixed gear?

3. I ride a fixer; used to run track series in Asheville as well. Cool bikes .... don;t coast!:)

I always mounted a front brake for street use ... it's good to have an emergency brake!

4. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

Has to be a fixxie if it has no brake levers.

5. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I would pedal strike myself to the moon on one.....

6. dusty20

Yea it is a fixed gear. I ride a unicycle it has to be similar to that right :rolleyes: I am thinking of getting clipless pedals or is that just a bad idea. I was also thinking of getting a front brake for just in case instances. Now that i have a road bike do i need to wear all of the spandex or do regular shorts work lol.

7. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I would do the front brake, but then, I'm totoally unskilled in panic stopping a fixie.

8. Ty

Ty Well-Known Member

I think most people use actual clip pedal or flats on fixed gear, not clipless

9. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Post up a pic of the thing already...

10. dusty20

that is what it has on it right now I just thought it would be easier to use clipless. The only way I can think of panic stopping is hitting a ditch. I will probably just keep the pedals it has on it and then I want to get a computer just to tell speed and distance and I want to get a front brake.

11. I ride my fixer clipped in, usually with mountain bike shoes for town riding. If I'm riding it for training, I'll go the full road pedals/shoes/ gear route. Check the chain adjustment. You don't want to throw a chain on a fixer. Tight enough at the tightest point, but not too tight. Enjoy!

12. dusty20

I would but I am at work I will have one by the end of the day.

13. ton

ton Arf!

raced track years ago, and have had a variety of fixies for the road since. great for winter training and commuting.

if you've not done it before, definitely get a front brake mounted up for the panic stops until you learn how to do it without. takes practice, but it's a great way to go. and once you learn panic stops by back pressure and rear wheel hopping, it's a blast.:D

-mark

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The hell with the bike, a little more detail on the avatar would be nice.

15. dusty20

so far I have heard of skidding being the only way to stop fast what about the wheel hopping same thing or different thing?

16. ton

ton Arf!

heh heh. she's greek. she gets attention. but unfortunately, i can't claim her as my own anymore. figured if i was going to throw myself into the lion's den, it wouldn't hurt to have some help :up:

-mark

17. dusty20

18. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

my buddy just got a specialized langster. it's a badass setup. he's tryin to get me on a Allez or a Robaix

19. Looks like it is a road bike switched over to a fixer. Perfect for road training and bombing around. Should be very easy to fit a front brake as the fork is already drilled for one.

What's the gearing? Looks like it might be a little tall for road duty if you have hills.

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Breaking Away!!!!