1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differential leak

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurlon, May 14, 2019.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ahhh, the Death Star.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lucas :D

DWhyte91, TurboBlew and turner38 like this.
  3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Any name brand works for me. Just no name brand or non Synthetic IMO.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

What weight gear oil? I'm looking at popping the cover this weekend as well due to a weeping from the pumpkin. Or, how do I find the preferred weight of gear oil? 2000 Dodge Ram Van 2500 standard length.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

According to the catalog, 75W-90 full synth.

pscook likes this.
  6. turner38

I would put 75/140 in it if it were mine.
    Probably calls for 80/90, if you go that route make sure it is GL-5. Inprefer the Synthetic myself.

pscook likes this.
  7. I run 75/140 in the rear and my Jeep and 75/90 in the front. Maybe it’s 80/90 I forget just know it’s 90. Front doesn’t see the shear loads like the rear.

pscook likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Thread sealant on the diff vent just like you'd do on the fill plug?

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Teflon tape, like a pipe fitting.

11. turner38

Depends on what kind of fitting it is. If it is the bolt through the brake line that has a washer no. If it is a tapered pipe fitting the yes, either pipe tape or a suitable silicone.
    (Not all silicone is suitible for gear oil)

ducnut likes this.
  12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, axle BOM translates to a Ford 70/267, non limited slip. Interestingly the owner's manual says it's a 70/273... manual calls for 8.3 pints of 80w-90. Who can I ping to see if that's accurate or if Ford has updated that recommendation, and do I trust the manual given the axle ID doesn't match up? Also, anyone got the torque specs and pattern for the Dana 70 diff cover I could steal?

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just fill it close to the bottom of the fill hole. Torque the rear cover? Naw, just use the german torque wrench. This is where sealant works better than a gasket and why we use it.

cav115 likes this.
  14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

6147EA77-497A-4686-A9B7-2056F920EA1C.png

4qts somds about right for a 70.
    And, yup, guttentight for the cover bolts.

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Sweet, got a Lubelocker Dana 60 cover gasket as that's what they advise for a Dana 70...

Don't fit...

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

The right stuff always fits. Just sayin'

17. turner38

Yeah, they are two different animals.

18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, story time...

Ford lists the axle options the E450 could have shipped with in 2006, including a Dana 70 in 4.56, no limited slip. Axle tag matches that description so a gasket was ordered based on that. As posted, gasket doesn't fit. A bit more digging, the Dana PN stamped into the cover is for a Dana 80, try a Dana 80 gasket, lines right up. Ford never offered a Dana 80 on this rig. At some point this RV got an axle swap to a Dana 80, and whomever did the swap moved the axle tag over to the new axle.

If I find that bastard I'll percussively re-educate them...