1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between R6 frames 06/07 to 08-13

Discussion in 'Tech' started by antor1, Oct 29, 2013.

1. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

Quick question. I know there is a slight difference between the frames 06/07 to the 08-13 as far as the airbox area. But as far as stiffness and geometry is there any difference?

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Geometry of the frame itself, not that I know of. One of the two had an extra brace at the front of the airbox, I believe it was the 06/07 years. That made it stiffer than the 08 - too stiff, apparently. (Could have that reversed.)

3. eel

eel Well-Known Member

2008+ had a different swing arm design too, stiffer than 2007.

So in
    2007 you had stiffer frame, more flexi swing arm.
    2008 you had a more flexible frame and a stiffer swing arm.

That's the long and short of it, that i know of. (the swing arm info came from the product literature).

I always wanted to try a 2008 swing arm on my 2007 and see what it felt like.

4. racer880

racer880 Banned

Looking at a frame now. Where is the brace at the front of airbox? Trying to see what year this is. Remove airbox?

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you would have to remove the airbox to see the brace that is non-existent in the 08+ frame.. but you will see that it literally looks "cut out" vs the 06-7 that has a brace that runs from one side to the other..

6. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

:stupid:

I'm parting out an 09 now, turning it back to street trim. What's the difference with the tails on these? In race trim the 06/07 looks different in the tail than the 08+....or am I crazy?

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the tail and subframes are different. the seats are different too

8. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

so 08+ race bodywork will not work on a 06 even with the 08+ fairing stay?

9. eel

eel Well-Known Member

SO.. I did this recently. Even bought a 2008 subframe to check the differences.

Yes it will fit. The mounting points all line up.. except the 2008+ seat sits further forward where it touches the tank.

So if you have GP style tail section you have to trim about an inch of fiberglass to clear all the way around the gas tank in the crotch area.. It's like the tank sits further back for 2007.

And yes, you need the current year fairing stay, and need to improvise the mounting area for the belly pan in the rear.

Except for the little extra elbow grease it works good.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  10. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

sounds like a ss tail won't work.(?) The deal is I found a super good deal on some 08+ bodywork and I'm trying to save big money by putting it on my 06 with an 08+ stay (I have to buy a stay anyways). Before I pull the trigger I just want to know if I'm causing myself a huge headache in the name of saving money or if its a good idea.

11. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

Anyone know if the 07 headlights will fit an 09 for street plastics?

12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Doubt it - maybe with the 07 fairing stay - but I'm 100% just guessing.

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Headlight size is touch different