1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dicks Sporting Goods (Field & Stream) to stop selling Assault-Style Rifles

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by rcarson15, Feb 28, 2018.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Won't do anything. They're just doing it for the free publicity and marketing. However the people most likely to shop there will be the most offended by this.

Side note: I've only bought one gun from a non small shop - Walmart for a shotgun as it was above and beyond the cheapest price. Everything else either small FFL or use gun broker to have it transferred through an FFL.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I wonder if they could be subject to a discrimination legal challenge on the age restriction.

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I believe FFL's can refuse to sell to anyone they want.

terminus est likes this.
  4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Bought a gun from them once. I would not go back to their hunting area again. They are good to get heat gear under armour and golf balls. Since dad passed my reason to golf dropped a LONG way so.....

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I buy my daughter's batting gloves and cleats from there, that's it. Oh, sometimes 22lr ammo as they always have some in stock and often on sale. I wouldn't even begin to consider buying a gun from a big box store!

6. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

I get the sarcasm ... but if you read their press release they are not only stopping the sale and raising the age to 21 in their stores . They are asking politicians to institute those same changes plus ban or restrict private sales.

So yeah they went political

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't see any issue with Dicks restricting gun sales to people over 21. I'm over 21, Mongo is over 21 and I assume you are as well. Even then I wouldn't buy a gun from them, too much of a hassle to find anything in their stores anyways.

As for the Federal Gooberment restricting sales to people over 21 you might as well get used to it because it's coming. Right or wrong, the pendulum has swung.

Do I agree with the over 21 shit? Doesn't matter

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So Dicks wants to cater to the same people that like REI. Not a problem for me. Can't remember the last time I went in one much less bought anything from them.

9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Not Fonda Dicks.

:)

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I bought a 10/22 from them once. The guy behind the counter was really helpful. The woman manager seemed a little paranoid and said it was store policy to walk me out. Couldn't buy ammo at the same time. Nice gun, too bad I lost it in a tragic boating accident.

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Nope this is another case of news hype and they will drag their feet until the news drones see the next shiny object to fixate on. There is a reason our government was designed to work slowly.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Just for giggles lower the voting age to 17!
    Also make an age minimum for marriage! Like 28+! :D

What will these do? Not a damn thing! :D

dtalbott likes this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

They did the same grand standing after Sandy Hook. Not really news. Anyone who was paying attention already crossed them off the list.

G 97 likes this.
  14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

And that's bullshit.

A 14 year old can go get an abortion and the parents won't get notified, but you have to be 21 to buy a gun. Logic, I love it.

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That one makes sense to me. I'd much rather see teens getting abortions than arms.

Jeff McKinney and cpettit like this.
  16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Is Dick's going to continue to sell paintball, airsoft, and BB guns that look assault-style?

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why that would be hypocritical.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They should be painted aquamarine and festooned with my little pony stickers.

cav115 likes this.
  19. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

When I heard it this morning, part of me wondered if this was less "Hey, look! We're doing the responsible thing!" than "Hey, look - we're not selling many of these anyway, because we sell lower end models and higher end prices, so let's stop selling them and get some advertising out of it."

crashman and rd400racer like this.
  20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Buuuut..it is for the children. If it can save just one life! oh, wait...nevermind:eek: