1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Detroit Grand Prix

Discussion in 'General' started by CRA_Fizzer, Jun 3, 2018.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

In the wrong hands, those cars are a corner handful. That little rise and drop unloaded the rear and around he went.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Probably was trying to intentionally light up the rear coming onto the straight a bit and went a little too far....just because you're an Exec. doesn't mean you're immune to squiggly behavior at times.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Somewhere in Detroit, there is a GM toolmaker (or three) commissioning a commemorative plaque of this momentous occasion.

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Supposedly he has a lot of track time and has an amateur race license. He's also been the first lap pace car driver for Belle Isle for a number of years. And to boot if anyone makes fun of him he can fire them on the spot. The dude is paid $7M a year.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah. A lot of these guys have some serious track experience. This wasn't some goon crashing a car he had no business driving. Shit happens.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

All the more reason to make fun of his dumb arse for crashing immediately after exiting the pits!

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Track time in that car is the question. They require a different driving style. High HP short wheelbase and track rise/drop in a corner, better be gentle on exit. The Camaro ZL1 1LE would have been more friendly there imo.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Nahh.... It was the Pace Lap no less... He was the 2nd car too.... No friggin reason to wreck.... Track experience or not he is a over paid Goon....

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Having led peeps around before I'd bet the biggest issue is he didn't want to slow the field down more than necessary.

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

^^that's especially true with cars on serious race rubber where they need to keep some heat in the tires to stay effective.

11. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This one will always be my favorite. Safety car is late leaving, ignores the entire blend line and takes out the leader.

Razr and cha0s#242 like this.
  12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I also think GM should have blamed the driver. Weather and track conditions crashed your halo track weapon? Are we going to have to see Corvettes parked under over passes with Harleys from now on?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't get why they had to place blame at all. Yep, it happened. Nope, not going to speculate on why.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Ego can fog a mind.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Why does it look like he has NO Helmet on?? and the window down??

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd bet he's got a helmet on, window down is so they don't get glass everywhere when they crash.

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Imagine every meeting he's walking into today ... :D

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What would there be to speculate on anyway? 755 hp, leading a field of professional, world-class racers, on live TV. I know what happened. Everybody knows. :D

Razr and Chino52405 like this.
  20. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

If it hadn't happened, none of us would be talking about the new corvette today. His raise should come from the marketing budget.
    Andy Warhol had a quote that said something like 'don't read your press, weigh it'.