1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defibrillators----School Me

Discussion in 'General' started by tony 340, Feb 5, 2014.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Anybody here well versed in these things?

I want to get a couple of these for our shop.

If you have one in your shop, or have had to use one, what models do you like, etc.?

Thanks

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, as a high school coach I had to take yearly training with them.

It's like a fire extinguisher, nobody ever wants to use one but when you need to it is probably going to save someone's life.

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

All I know is you have to rub them together and yell, "CLEAR!"

4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I've never bought one, but I've been trained on a couple of models. If you're going to have one, make sure you have people trained by the Red Cross or somewhere's else to use them.

Many in commercial buildings and on airplanes are single use AEDs. They come with little sticky pads that go on the subject's chest, not paddles you rub together with conductive gel. They also come with very simple instructions on correct placement and steps. The single use models only have one or two buttons on them, and will either talk you through the steps, or will come with instructions on what to do at what time.

When I say "single use" what I mean is - its like a fire extinguisher. You use up the charge, then send it in for recharging and calibration/check, etc.

LIFEPAK and Philips both make models like I've described, but there are lots of others out there. Philips, I believe, made the model I was trained on and it was painfully simple to use (no pun intended).

I hope that helps.

5. TheUncannyJ

TheUncannyJ Well-Known Member

Lifepak 12. Best hands down. jk. Well it is the best, but not for your use. Here at my office job, we have Phillips Heartstart Defibrillators. Compact and easy to use.

6. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

Yep the Phillips is very easy to use. We had them on all the aircraft at a company I previously worked for and they made for a good solution for us. They'll talk to you and tell you what to do so pretty much any idiot can use them. Even comes with a razor to shave off a hairy bastard's chest if needed. Then you just stick the pads on like Dart said.

They use batteries sorta like a laptop would have and you can send the unit back to the company every so often to be refurbished. I forgot how often we sent ours in. They also will not allow you to deliver a shock to a person who does not need it.... so no fun allowed there.

7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Most models are extremely easy to use.

That being said, they only work well when the heart is in fibrillation.

Chest compressions should be first to get the blood circulating. Have a second person prep the unit while CPR is in progress.

Personal experience.

8. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

The prior comments pretty much sum it up. AED's are great to have on site but hope you never have to use it. Get yourself and/or employees trained on them. They're rather simple to use and self explanatory but if needed you'll be fumbling to get it operating start-to-finish in the very short amount of time you have to help someone.

A few reasons for training:
    The pads for children are different than adult pads and the machine will set itself up to send less joules if applying to a child.
    Shaving the application areas so the pad will make good contact.
    What to do with a victim in the event they have a pacemaker/defibrillator.
    Helping a female victim.

It's one of those things that... if you don't know anything about it you can still use it. Training is key! All 50 states have enacted laws requiring public gathering places to have an AED on site. I think Good Samaritan laws protect those attempting to operate an AED on a victim but not sure how/if they apply to someone not trained and certified. Check state laws.

I just did my annual First Aid/CPR/AED recertification less than two weeks ago. I hate the thought of not fully knowing a procedure.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Extension cord with jumper cable ends. Instant defibrillator

10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

They're shocking.

11. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

I just went through Red Cross CPR + AED Training and they are very easy to use, but I would definitely recommend training for those around them. Do not to just expect them to take it out and use it when someone's life is on the line. They verbally give you instructions on what to do, but you should be familiar with the process and where you need to place the pads to be effective.

12. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

I just bought one, a couple of years ago, for my workplace. Every year I bring in / pay a certified instructor to train, anyone who wants trained, on CPR/First Aid and Bloodborne Pathogens. Year after year we were shown how to use an AED, but the company wouldn’t buy one. Grrr

Anyhow, we have one now. Although it’s in an office environment, the plant has some dust, so I got the optional glass front box that has an alarm that sound when the door is opened to alert other that someone needs help (can be turned off). As mentioned, there is step by step written and audible instructions. After placing the pads, the AED will look for a heartbeat and isn’t supposed to zap the poor slob on the floor if they don’t need it.

After being trained, repeatedly, I know it’s easy to have the surreal, not knowing what to do, shock feeling that sets in when someone hits the floor or is in an accident. That should be stressed in the training: Don’t just stand there, do something to help.

13. Chad & Robyn

Chad & Robyn Well-Known Member

I bought one back in 2008 for personal use at home. I bought a ZOLL from AEDsuperstore.com. I echo what everybody has said already. You need to get trained on it and take the CPR/AED course. Good on ya for being pro active. :up:

14. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:stupid: we have to have CPR certification annually, and they always show us how to use the AED's. VERY simple to use, and in an emergency, with no training, you'd probably do ok, but its one of those things, when you DO need it, youre own heartrate and adrenalin is super high, and having already had a "dry run" with it, will be very beneficial especially when "seconds" can be the difference in life and death.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do they stay on a trickle charger when in storage or do they have some kind of super good battery that lasts forever?

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

planning on giving out some big repair bills? :D

17. Chad & Robyn

Chad & Robyn Well-Known Member

They come with a lithium battery. The one I have has lasted 6 years. You can buy replacement batteries.

18. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Same here. I've only seen 2 units fail (failure on the status indicator) in the last 8 years with about 60 units.

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/products/resuscitation/products/fr2plus/specifications.wpd

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

20. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak