1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deck stairs landing question

Discussion in 'General' started by sicc, Apr 20, 2018.

1. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

i am thinking about building a deck over a concrete slab. the slab is ground level and the deck would have to be about 10.75" high so that it is even with a door on the side of the house. currently there is a cement square with wooden ramp down to the level of the slab. to go from 10.75" down to ground level i will need 1 step down on the edge of the slab.

is it mandatory to have a cement or stone landing or can i build the deck so that the step lines up with the edge of the slab and the landing would be the grass next to the slab? i really don't want to leave the slab exposed anywhere and don't want to have to pour new concrete just to make a landing.

i will probably need to get a permit as the deck is over 200' squared and would like to play by the rules.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

When i built my deck (589 sqft) i got a permit and got going (in SC).

Built the stairs 10 ft wide , 5 ft high. No landing, straight into the grass, even with slope. 4” on the very right, 7” on the very left.

When the inspector came for the final dignature, all he said was : looks like you outdid yourself here...

3. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Barring any additional local municipality requirements, 2015 IRC will not mandate a man-built landing. A flat portion of grade is fine, though a few large pavers wouldn't be a bad idea.

I know flush decks are hip, but why not lower it 4"? It'll help prevent water from getting in at the door threshold and you'll be able to avoid steps entirely since you'll only be 6.25" above grade.

P.S. Not many ground-breaking changes in the deck world, but lateral reinforcing is required in quite a few codes now. Budget on 4 Simpson DTT1Z connectors connecting your deck joists to the home structure. (Assuming you frame this deck traditionally.)

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I just put cinder blocks flush with the ground where the strings hit.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Obviously, you ain't been 'Mericanized yet. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Also told him that i eaited a few weeks after the joist install, then came in with laser and planer. Now i have 1/4” height variance over 30 ft :D. (Vs almost 2“ before)

He didn’t even look at any detail, just knew it was properly built.

7. fastfreddie

Love me some German craftsmanship. Well done!

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Still have a full 1/4” variance, eh? :Poke:

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

^ yup.

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

No. See. That was supposed to bug yo... never mind. Ruin all my fun. You’re a damn German engineer. How can you be ok with that?!?!

Phl218 and noles19 like this.
  11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Seriously if you call the permit office and tell them you're German and and engineer they probably will just mail you the permit and skip the inspection:crackup:

fastfreddie, Funkm05 and Phl218 like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

This:

Attached Files:

Funkm05 likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Doesn't it seem odd, with the reputation Germans have for quality/perfection, that their autos are less reliable versus Japanese and American autos?

Steak Travis likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

But when you get a good German car they're pretty nice.

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You have to get the planer out with pressure treated.

16. fastfreddie

Not when they're bought in Germany, tho'...or so I've heard.

17. Boman Forklift

I agree. Two weeks ago I went out to visit Tyler, and we test drove cars. For college graduation he gets some cash, which he will probably use as a car down payment. He is starting a good job and is trying to decide if he wants to jump in with a fun car and a car payment?

He drove an Alfa Romeo Gulia Quadrifogilo, AMG C63, BMW M3, and Lexus RCF.

The Lexus was the biggest disappointment. It is way more expensive than my daughter's Infiniti Q60 and the Infiniti looks much nicer on the inside.

We really wanted to like the Alfa, but it isn't available in stick and you could tell it was based on an inexpensive car. It was the most expensive but the materials didn't match up to the price. The trunk material was falling down inside the trunk. The steering wheel paddles don't rotate with the wheel, so they make them large and they block the turn signal stalk.

He liked the BMW M3 Competition model the best. If the AMG came in a stick, then it would have been close. The Mercedes interior was much nicer.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Even a 20 year old M3 is still a very cool car, that sound is spectacular.

19. Boman Forklift

Yes. I owned a 95 E36 M3. My wife and I bought it right after we married. It was white with cool cloth M interior and alcantara sides. I loved how that car drove, it handled better than my 930. We sold it to buy a mini-van. Lolol

Phl218 likes this.
  20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Note the word missing from your description...

Longevity.

Wars only last 4-6 years for them. :D