1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona TT 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Thanks guys!!!

It was an awesome day!

Here’s a brief rundown:

Dalton contacts me in November wanting to earn his way back into the sport after failing a test due to small amounts of weed....

Been sitting on sidelines since his last win Charlotte 2017.

Told him that if he put in the effort to get here, the I would build him a bike and take him to gym and train him.

Early Jan, he raised the money to get to Florida. He’s 19 with no job skills other than throttle twisting so he had to reach out, eat humble pie and find sponsors to get him here.

Spend Jan, feb non stop at the track riding, training, and completing his Road to Recovery.

That process takes some time but he met every test and passed eac time.

Unfortunately we were told that he wouldn’t be completed in time for Daytona or Dixie which sucked, but we knew that there were consequences so we decided we would go to Daytona to “work” the amateur nationals and help out where we could. Just he and me in my truck and two pitbikes.

We get to savannah which is 5 days prior to Daytona and we get a call that he’s successfully completed the program and on a probation basis and we were cleared to run provided he got licensed and his concussion test and lots of other stuff... long story short we were excited but also stressed because that’s a LOT to get done after we’ve already left home with no bike or anything.....

We both get to work while concurrently working races with 200 entries...

I call everyone I can think of with a competitive bike.

I literally had two different bikes leased then they both for unfortunate reasons fell through...

This is now 2 days out and dalton has completed and drove hours to get his concussion test done, 2 more tests and he’s cleared, we’ve got Arai on board, Njk leathers overnighted a custom set, etc.... but no bike.

Finally I reach out to Johnny Lewis tonsee if he has any connections... he’s got his school bike. A new, but stock Ktm 450 with lots of teaching/training hours... we can rent it butt needs EVERYTHING to be AFT legal.

Get up at 6am day before, head to speedway parking lot. Take possession of bike. We install recluse clutch; change tires, rear wheel to quick change, fmf exhaust and fully wire and drill, install Beringer brake system, etc..

Get the bike loaded in the back of my truck to take to garage 52.

Notice the suspension felt a little “stiff”. Lol last guy that ride bike was 190lbs. Dalton weighs 140 soaking wet. One more thing to take care of.

We worked on that bike all day.

Final qualifying we were 31st fastest.
    First Heat he raced himself into 3rd behind two red bull factory KTM’s of Bromley and Sipes. Sweet, we were a little motored but we had a game plan for that. We stuck to it.

Semi final outside front row, another game plan. Boom. Stuck to it perfectly. Rode away to the win. Knows we had to find a little more for the Feature. Made some changes, jusittle stuff to improve everywhere we could within our power and hope for the best because we were up against strong riders with stronger motors on a horsepower track.

Dalton rose that thing at 110% and we made 2nd place our home and happily one of my good buds Jesse won the race. So it was a dream podium after what we had accomplished. Dalton proved to himself that he still had the speed. He proved t me tha he was willing to put in the work, and tha exactly what I gave him my 110%.

HUGE thanks to the following people plus many we are missing but I hope y’all enjoy this write up because I’m just sitting in Cracker Barrel reflecting and trying to figure out what we are gonna do for Atlanta while our hot rod is still not completed...

Yzasserina, KMC, Rdrace42 and 17 others like this.
  2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Great summary and write up Robby. I figured you guys were out to lunch on set up early in the day, as he was way off the pace. Then the times started coming down and by the heats he was competitive. It was great to watch dude. He rode his ass off. Watching on TV you could see he was down on power a good bit.
    Now knowing the whole story, what you guys pulled off is even more impressive. Give em hell in Atlanta.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

davisfisher67
    "Daytona TT was one for the books. With the new layout, the track was difficult for me to get comfortable on the bike. I had an unfortunate get off in the semi. I was transported to the hospital, where I spent the night in ICU for observation. My injuries included bruised lungs, and a fractured vertebrae."

4. Spang308

He went down hard. Glad he's ok relatively speaking.

stk0308 likes this.
  5. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Awesome Job man... See you guys @ Dixie...

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Man that is impressive what you guys went through just to start, let alone qualify 31st and finish 2nd!!!

Awesome job

8. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

The kids got talent and even a good crew chief!

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, this show is coming to my home track this year. Is there any program for non pro (read total newbs) riders to get a stab at the track during an AMA FT event? I've got a supermoto, looks like I can make a mess of tires by using a rain rear with a Shinko 17, no expectations of making a main but if I'm there, and the opportunity is there...?

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Will AFT do more races like this?

11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Thought I read this is replayed today, on NBC Sports. Haven't found it yet.

Oops! Next Sunday... :(

12. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Usually no. Depends on your local sanctioning body whether they'll put one on. Or Steve Nace. He does a Pro-Am event along with the short track, and the TT, that precedes the respective Springfield Mile events.

13. Rispoli never has an easy crash, that bike took a nice ride.

14. He’s damn good. Good come back story as well.

15. Spang308

At the risk of getting too far ahead of myself, after hearing what they pulled off just to get to this round, I feel even more confident in my forecast of Dalton winning the title this year.
    Excited to watch this develop.

16. Yes indeed.

17. Robby-Bobby

Bike secured for Atlanta National.

If you’re on insta, you can get a sneak peek of my husky build.

Cylinder head still out for loving or we would have it.

Picked up a little product support from:
    Motion Pro
    Arai
    Evans
    Arrow (D&D Cycles)
    Castrol
    To name a few.

Looks like we are borrowing a Honda this weekend so another new bike to learn and setup. Except we only have race day to prep it.

Very thankful that dalton and myself work well together. He listens, he adapts, and he has loads of talent, heart and the desire to win no matter what!

Sticking with my promise. He give me 100%, I’ll give him 110%

Kurlon and Steeltoe like this.
  18. Robby-Bobby

Actually there is a Super TT in Arizona later at that big badass trophy truck track. Wild horse pass or something like that.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Cool! Good luck in the ATL!

(Dookati sucks)