1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona digital tach question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 50Joe, Feb 19, 2003.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I can't get the tach to work. I am running an RZ350 with aftermarket ignition. I tried it first on my "B" motor with Motoplat ignition and using the inductive pickup. No dice. I then installed my "A" motor (with PVL ignition) since my B motor was broken in after being rebuilt now. It did not read RPM's using the inductive method on the secondary plug wire. So, I tried the supplied wire splice connector on the primary side of the coil wire to no avail. Finally, I tried soldering the wire directly to the primary side of the hot wire going to the coil. Still no RPM reading. What gives? :confused:

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not to be a dumbass, but are you sure you have proper ground,and positive.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'm pretty sure I've got the proper ground and positive leads. My bike has a whopping 4 wires (2 for each cylinder).

I read the post on the rev light, and that is an entirely different animal.

5. Jim Swartout

Jim Swartout Well-Known Member

595Joe:

It's a little hard to debug through messages, but recently
    installed one on CB350 with Dyna-S ignition.

Hooked positive to positive, ground to ground and
    tach pickup wire to the ground side (-) of coil that runs to
    the ignition trigger setup on crank.
    Worked OK.

If this is the same setup, then tach maybe bad.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

my bad...just sounded familiar what with daytona coming and all...

7. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Every daytona dig. tach I have seen hooked up and working was way slow in the readout. You can rev the motor and as it is decelling the tach readout still is climbing.

8. dan blankenship

dan blankenship Well-Known Member

I was using the digital tach with the stock ignition....I was only able to get it to work by wrapping the thick black pickup wire around one of the spark plug wires. Also for some odd reason it would never work with the iridium plugs.

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Well, I spent several hours on it today. I know the tach works because I tried it on my van and it read the rpm very well. I even called PVL to ask them how best to use the tach with their ignition. Per their recommendations I tried to hard wire it to the hot wire of the ignition after I installed a 460K ohm resisitor. This did not work. Then, I removed the resistor. This also did not work. As a last ditch effort I went back to wrapping the inductive pick up wire around the spark plug wire (secondary wiring). But, first I stripped about a 1/4 inch of insulation off the end of the wire. Then, I made sure this bare wire was under the wrapped turns of the inductive wire around the spark plug wire. I then wrapped electical tape around it to insulate it. Further, I routed the wire as far away from other wiring and the coils as I could. This seemed to have worked. I'm not sure if it is reading the correct rpm's yet. I'll know when I ride the bike. Also, I may be getting the delayed rpm reading as mentioned above but I'm not really sure yet. All in all, I cannot recommend this tach to anyone else. I don't use a tach when I ride instead I use visual references to set my upshift and downshift points on the track. The goal for the tach was to help me set proper jetting and establish my visual reference shift points during practice sessions that much quicker. Maybe if I had a different bike or stock ignition it would work better :confused: .

10. dan blankenship

dan blankenship Well-Known Member

I didn't even strip the insulation off of the pickup wire. Mine came with a coiled end to wrap around the spark plug wire. The tach works well at steady rpm but really sucks when the revs raise and lower quickly. I think I trashed mine....I replaced it with a 12k rpm tach made by Stack. I think that tach ran me about 380 and included a programable shift light.