1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 675 - common issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rllamarca, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I picked up mine on a Saturday in early May 2006, had 600mi on it by Thursday, changed the oil, and was on the track the next Saturday. It drew quite a crowd, as not many had seen one in the flesh, yet. One of the coaches was digging on it and I told him to take it out for a session. The guys around me were like “You’re nuts!”. Haha. I was like “It’s just a motorcycle. No worries.”. I really enjoyed that bike, on and off the track.

Because of the 675’s brilliant engine, I traded my Tiger 1050 for a Tiger 800. The 800 has the same characteristics as the 675 and is so enjoyable to ride, being so smooth and free to rev. The 1050 is just a coarse, torque monster. Enjoyable, but, not spirited or playful, for lack of terms.

JBall and SuddenBraking like this.
  2. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

[vulture mode] So what you need now is a good quick shifter! US$150 +$15 for the postman, bolt-on plug-in kit. [/vulture]

rllamarca likes this.
  3. rllamarca

rllamarca Well-Known Member

Oh shit - that was one of the things I forgot. It's got the OEM unit already.

4. rllamarca

Thanks! Can't wait for the season to start up again and see what I can do on it.

5. rllamarca

Interesting - I was considering swapping the street triple and Bonneville for something more touring-friendly. Maybe a tiger 800 is a good option. I was keen on a SuperDuke GT...

ducnut likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The SD is awesome. You just gotta’ ride stuff and figure out what appeals most.

With how crappy roads are, long-travel suspension and a 19” or 21” front wheel go a long way toward comfort. I have a friend with an MT-10 who usually follows me and he’s amazed at how I look like I’m on a magic carpet ride and rail corners on nasty roads like a race track. As I’ve told him, these ADV bikes and their plush suspensions soak up and roll over everything and give confidence, whereas a sporty bike like his is always going to feel nervous and keep the rider on edge, when riding bad roads. There’s a reason ADV bikes are so popular and why mine is my first pick from the shop.

7. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

:beer:

rllamarca likes this.
  8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and the engine blowing up. Forgot about that :)

9. rllamarca

Shit - what was the cause? Did you ever find out?

10. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Never really did a post mortem. It was an 07 with 30k miles and probably 20 TDs and a few race weekends. Found metal shavings in the oil pan though. Bought a used motor for like $500 and swapped it in, and put it back on the track.

I regret nothing! It was a good bike. Only reason I don't ride it now is because I picked up a 2015R.

11. rllamarca

Well if motors are that cheap I think I can deal with any issues that come my way. :beer:

drnick_710 likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Don’t continually wring the guts out of it, hitting the rev-limiter, and you won’t have issues.

13. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

FWIW, I didn't ride it like that.