1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 675 cam upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech' started by svracer22, Jan 30, 2020.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I want to upgrade the cams in my 08 d675 for hopefully a couple more hp. I need check valve clearances so I will have them out and figure it's a good time to upgrade.
    Has anyone had the reprofiling done from ukrs? How about swapping in the exhaust cam from a 09-12? Any other options?

2. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

3. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I have the kit cams in my 2008 675 and I can say from experience they’re not worth the trouble. They offer just a little more duration at the same lift and only make a few more hp near the top of the rev range and lose a few in the midrange. Also, to truly take advantage of them you should rev the bike higher (as what the kit ECU allows) which often leads to valvetrain trouble with 06-12 Daytonas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. svracer22

Any thoughts on using stock 2013+ cams on my 2008? The 2013+ stock cams have more lift with about the same duration. I hear that the race kit cams are interchangeable between years, which leads me to believe that the stock cams should also fit.

5. nlzmo400r

I've got no personal experience putting 13+ cams in any prior year machine. But I will say this, I've spoken to some of the technical guys at Triumph and they insist the kit race parts are really made to work together as an entire package and really shouldn't be added piece by piece. I think my experience in using just the cams (because they were lying around) and cam sprockets proves this.

Let me add also that my PTV clearance was VERY small using the recommended base timing settings for the 06-08 race camshafts that don't add lift compared to the OEM camshafts. It was so close that I couldn't even use the race head gasket, the standard type had to be used to get proper clearance. So if you do decide on this endeavor, be very sure to double check squish clearance and PTV.

TL; DR: You can physically fit the camshafts, but it's not worth it unless you're ok with reving the engine higher to realize their additional power at the sacrifice of valve train longevity.

6. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

See if you can find a low mile cheap 2009-2012 motor. We bought a few of them throughout the years for as little as $1000 on eBay. Quite a few of the "kit" parts from the 06-08 bikes were incorporated into the 2009 motor.

If you want cheap bolt on power, find a kit stator.

7. nlzmo400r

^ This is probably a better idea. Complete bolt in aside from having to either weld new exhaust flanges on your exhaust system or replace the header to match the 09+ port shape.

8. svracer22

Alright. It looks like I'm abandoning the cam upgrade and now looking into the kit stator.