1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I still don't see why aftermarket pegs aren't foldable. Surely that would help to some degree with safety, not to mention would be less likely to break in a crash. One reason why I kept my OEM pegs for so long. Only changed to aftermarket after crashing, and mangled one of the pegs, but needed to anyways for cornering clearance.

Jody Barry..... everyone's hero!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

They would be folding up on my ass every turn.... I wear a 14 and move my feet a lot...

3. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Man!! That RRW article is crazy. I don't know what to say than Jody did something really amazing!

2blueYam likes this.
  4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You can use an OEM part with a certain model year R6 and it's legal, and not on others. Your point? The rules have always been based on model year unless specifically noted. (Brake rotor ODs for example.)

Just because the bikes may look similar, without a rule saying updating and backdating is legal 08 parts on a 16 are not legal, aftermarket or OEM. Full stop. For the same reason I can't take the throttle bodies off an 08 and chuck them into my 03*. They're both R6 so it should be legal based on your view, right? But one looks different so it's not the 'same' bike. Ok, where do you draw that line? The 2017 will accept the same air filter as a 16 but it looks different, line crossed now? This is why you go by model year and call it good, no gray areas involved. If the 2016 and 2017 end up slower than a 2008, well... which one should you be shopping for if you're going to race SuperSport with CCS or SuperStock with WERA? :D

(Or, as Broome has noted, skip the restrictions, build what you want and run SuperBike; but don't be upset if someone strips your paint off on the straights with a fully built to the rules wallet.)

*There is a part of me that is curious if this is actually possible physically... would love that adjustable velocity stack setup... I should focus on getting the damn thing running first though.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thanks JU for getting this quiet hero the exposure.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Just answering another posters question with regards to what TSE was using and stating that using the exact same air filter set up in one year model is legal while in another it is not, which is true. I'm not interpreting what should or shouldnt be allowed. I'm not judging it one way or the other. You or anyone can do what ever they want to. I dont have any view as to what I think should be legal or illegal. Model to model or year to year. just trying to state the facts as I know them.

I would like for you or anyone else to show me in the rules where it specifically states that a specific model year airbox component - after market or OEM - are not deemed to be legal with certain model years. As this is what CCS is now stating.

7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ill second that. Thanks Mr Ulrich for acknowleding that kind of selfless sacrifice to help another person.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's a real shame that the national news hasn't picked up on this. Dark clouds only…….:Puke:

9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Good Race Gino. And it is crazy the amount of similarities that we had in that weekend. I knew my bike but not the track so well. I was frustrated with my times having not bested my times from the first time being there in October. Then chasing gearing before qualifying. Got to qualifying and made it barely. Started the race feeling pretty good as I had two good starts. Like you I figured if I got a good start I'd be able to latch onto the faster group guys. But that didn't happen. I was in the group with Patrick, Gino and Ruffino. Gino were you the one with the Nicky Helmet? And if so.... that bike may not be fast. But it aint slow lol

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Dustin didn't have the nasty meat tenderizer peg thankfully. His leg was sandwiched between the two bikes when they hit, and punctured his leg. he's very lucky as he said it missed his femoral artery by millimeters.
    Still wish those horrible pegs were not allowed. they can do some major damage if they rake across a rider.

11. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Why not?

12. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Pretty sure I remember we had a guy put one of those through his, ummmm, errrrr, nutsack at LRRS in 05. He came back after getting stitched up but didn't ride sunday....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

We also did it on one tire, everyone around us was using two but by the time my brother made his second stop there was 8 laps to go and tire still had some meat left to it so I made the decision to send him out with it and told him to take it easy. It worked and we picked up 2 spots in the final laps and made it to the money spots. Money was a huge shock, we were expecting maybe $200.

Good time, I watched the 200 on TV and internet since 93, to be part of it is an experience I will never forget.

14. I'm glad they aren't.

1. I tend to scrape them on some bikes, especially the 1299S. It doesn't have as much ground clearance as some of the others for some reason.

2. The fixed peg feels more stable.

3. The fixed peg acts like a slider. I never run frame sliders. In a lowside, the bike will slid on the fixed peg and the clip-on. It keeps the gas tank, frame, and bodywork from sliding on the ground.

Much easier to change a footpeg than a gas tank or bodywork.

I always change to aftermarket rearsets immediately, before the bike ever sees the track.

But I HATE those meat grinder Vortex pegs (I really don't like or use anything Vortex).

Personally, I use either Driven D-Axis or LighTech-R rearsets. I like the simplicity and price of Woodcraft, but never use them because by default they move the pegs up and back, and aren't very adjustable (if at all).

I like my pegs as far forward as possible, not back.

Ra.Ge. Raptor and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

great job guys !

16. six6two

six6two AWD

I was under the impression that there was a slight change in the stock cone for the 2016 R6, but seems as though the part numbers are the same. So I guess I'm wrong.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction. I was working on a home project while watching/listening to the feed (when it was working). I obviously didn't catch all of the details.
    Even more impressed with Jody's actions the more I learn about the incident.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why isn't anyone mad at Yamaha for changing the stupid filter so many times on the same bike?

Ra.Ge. Raptor and stk0308 like this.
  19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Yes I think it will. Mine lasted in '15, and then I sprint raced it for a full season afterwards. I only rebuilt it before the '16 200 because I crashed and it ran on it's side in October at Barber.

In '16 my oil filter failed, it cracked up at the top of the housing and leaked oil onto the rear tire. The motor was ok. That motor later blew up at Road America, but it was determined to be an assembly error, the layshaft nut came off and the locking tab went through the gears, cracking the cases.

The big unknown is the crank bearings, if you have the good ones, you're ok. If not, you better replace them or they will eventually fail. This is what happened to Barrett Long in '15.

IMO a good 848 Evo motor with base gaskets (squish set) and some tuning would be a great bike for Daytona. Also depends on how hard you ride it....you probably shouldn't bang downshifts like you're on your R6!

Ra.Ge. Raptor, 418 and G8rDuc like this.
  20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

By the time I came around to the Apgar crash in the barrel turn, he was already clear of the bike, but the flames were over 30 feet high, and corner workers had not reached the fire yet. If Jody had not pulled him out, it would have been VERY bad. Those pics are right after the crash, within 30 seconds it was a BIG fire.