1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

good point. exact date of manufacture could be important.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I don't know, man. I feel bad for West, but rules is rules, right? Do we really wanna get into the practice of ignoring violations because they 'Didn't make a difference?' That's pretty subjective.

3. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

It seems petty as hell to me, but it's in the rules.

4. RioHondoHank

RioHondoHank Well-Known Member

Cory told me that it was a 2016 R6 that the team purchased to be elgable for Yamaha contingency. I would guess that they already had BMC air filters that they had been using on their earlier model R6's.

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I remeber that... He was So Fkn Mad....at himself.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Dang. That could've been just a difference in manufacturing from one mold to the next.

deepsxepa likes this.
  7. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I'm confused. All this talk... what exactly did he have in the bike? A different year oem filter? It was a hell of a race I'm sure if he was buddies with whoever teched it we wouldn't be talking about it.

I think it's all bullshit. Everyone is human and of course in every org. there are the guys that are liked more than others. I have seen how everyone does not get treated EQUALLY.

Tell me something about tech... how is it that they check for the build year of the helmet yet they allow a crashed helmet?

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Unless it was the one with the BIG hole... Rules say the BMC as manufactured is acceptable.. So long as the opening is not enlarged...
    Details are in the wording....
    I once saw a master cylinder protest DQ over turned by a single Comma...( , )

9. RioHondoHank

RioHondoHank Well-Known Member

We shall see how the appeal turns out. They told Cory that they will have a panel of 3 unbiased judges make the decision. My question was where are they going to find these unbiased judges amongst the CCS members.

10. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

This is not a new rule and not specific to the 200. It is the CCS/ASRA ss rule. The clarification on r6 they posted at least a year ago probably due to the high number of r6 dqs for illegal airbox per the rule that says "Original equipment air box must remain as produced. Air filters must
    be used but may be Aftermarket units. Aftermarket air filters are
    restricted to units available via normal commercial channels and designed to mount in the stock location for that specific model machine. Aftermarket air filter units that replace part of the OEM air box are required to maintain the original size and number of air inlets of the stock unit."

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

deepsxepa likes this.
  11. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Here of course!

TurboBlew, 418 and flyboy like this.
  12. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

At what point do you relax the rulebook? And who do you do it for? It has to be unbiased and impartial, or it is not a rule book.

rk97, Boman Forklift, stk0308 and 3 others like this.
  13. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Exactly, it's a slippery slope.

John29 likes this.
  14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

It depends on what "IS" turns out to "BE"...guess we have to wait for the Appeal Process to run it's course...sometimes it is an over zealous inspector with Improperly Used or Un-Calibrated Calipers, or even just a worn out tape measure.
    OR...it could be a totally correct call.

kjohnson likes this.
  15. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Ed Key made a mockery out of their rulebook and/or enforcement for many years. He had a SS SV that weighed 320 or 33olbs that they barely glanced at after races, but they checked everyone's filter. They should have made the rule to run whatever the hell filter you want years ago, but then they'd have zero dqs.

16. So do both of you feel the racer in the R3 Cup at last year's GNF that had a short hose containing fluid on the rear brake MC, rather than the actual reservoir, should have been DQ'ed?

17. backcountryme

What did the rule book say? I love playing the grey areas of the rule book. It is fun to me. But if the rule says a certain part must be used, then it must be used.

18. I don't know how CCS works, but IMO, if they feel they HAVE to "make a stand" and penalize Cory's team for something so petty as this, then they should do something along the lines of docking him 3 seconds, or perhaps one finishing position, something along those lines.

That would serve the purpose of giving them a penalty, but wouldn't send the team home with a DQ and $0 for their efforts.

They did a hell of a job and Cory ran a hell of a race. To give him a complete DQ over something as petty as 1/10th and 1/20th of an inch, something that gave no performance advantage nor affected the outcome of the race in any way, especially when he had the same filter as Danny's bike, is way too extreme and uncalled for.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime.

jeffr1ey likes this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

So it is OK for one R6 to have the filter but not another one? Bikes that are basically BNG for damn near a decade?
    Why didn't either of them race the new one that a handful of people say is so much better?
    This whole thing is absurd and pathetic.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. backcountryme

Did the rule book layout the procedure in advance? You keep wanting to make is subjective (and I get it, I want West to get second too), but if the rule book was clear that the offender would be DQ'ed, then it is what it is. Sorry. But the rules should be applied equally to all, no matter where they finished.