1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Correct, it's not an R6 specific rule, the rule says the airbox cannot be modified, on any bike. It just happens that on the R6 the airfilter forms an integral part of the airbox, hence needing a clarification that the rule still applies.

ahastings likes this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

So Cory West on an R6 led Danny Eslick on an R6 out of the chicane. With a cheater air filter that at Daytona would make way more horsepower. Such a massive difference that may not make a difference on a dyno but at speed at Daytona would be a YUUUGE advantage.
    Yet Eslick was able to draft and beat him at the stripe? Seems to me that when you have otherwise equal bikes and equal riders that the one with a supposed large power advantage would be able to run away and hide.

But yeah, that damned air filter rule makes all the sense in the world and was totally why he lost the race.

3. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

i may have missed it but was this clarification before or after the 200?

anyone have the actual rule verbatim as it was written immediately prior to the 200?

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I don't like that he was dq'd either; however, how are you going to fight that you weren't technically precise and the rule was pretty clear cut. I'm curious to see what TSEs interpretation was of that rule.

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

A line has to be drawn somewhere, CCS drew this particular line years ago. This clarification was posted well before this year's 200, and has been spelled out in the past (I recall discussions about it in 2008ish on the CCS forum, Mongo even participated in the conv! :P) consistently by CCS.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. RioHondoHank

RioHondoHank Well-Known Member

Actually Danny's bike had the same air filter as Cory's but Danny's was an earlier model R6 and Cory's bike was a 2016 which has a slightly smaller hole in the snorkle. Cory told me that the size difference is 1/10 inch in width and 1/20 inch in height. I am not sure in what year model it was changed. I think both the rule and the so called clarification are confusing as as I understand it BMC also makes one with a much larger hole, basically without a snorkle.

six6two likes this.
  7. No air filter, or even if there was no filter and it was wide open, would make enough of a difference to counteract drafting effects.

As we all know, a bone stock 600cc bike with stock gearing can't reach redline in 6th gear because it is HP limited and can't overcome the drag. Drag increases exponentially as you get faster, and at 150+mph there is ALOT of drag.

That is why the draft is so important at Daytona and must be timed perfectly. There have been times when one person used the draft to take the lead, then the guy he passed was able to re-draft past him before the line.

The draft can make upwards of a 10mph difference of top speed. If a bike is already at terminal velocity, it would take a lot of HP to gain another 10mph...no air filter/air box, regardless of size, is going to make enough additional HP to make a bike gain an extra 10mph of top speed.

In other words, I understand "rules are rules", but the race results were dictated by the actions of the racers, not by anyone's air filter.

six6two likes this.
  8. Absolutely ridiculous to DQ Cory over that.

six6two likes this.
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

of course it was written prior to the D200.. it was in the link (in the post you replied to) for the D200, on the ccs page for months leading up to it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So, exactly what was in the bike West was riding?? Not speculation... fact?? What was it.

11. MELK-MAN

how do i know...

Britt likes this.
  12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Which is what everyone here is doing,
    Just suppose for a moment, the manufacture changed he sizing on the part.. And it came out of the box same as the other older parts..but a larger hole??

kjohnson likes this.
  13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Am I to understand that the same part is legal on one bike and illegal on another bike (same make and model, different year)?

six6two likes this.
  14. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Where's Huey to clear things up for us?:D

15. I mean shit, 2 different people can read a tape measure or even operate a digital micrometer and come up with a measurement that is 1/20th of an inch different.

The outer rubber/plastic edge could heat up and expand and make a 1/20th of an inch difference.

This whole time I thought we were talking about an air filter/air box that had an intake that was 3" wider or some shit like that.

16. MELK-MAN

it would be ideal if everyone waited till ccs/asra posted a formal reply to the Dq, but you know that can't happen. :)

TurboBlew, rk97 and Britt like this.
  17. MELK-MAN

ya know how this shit storm coulda been avoided though right ?

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

With More Carrillo?? :)

(See what I did there)

kjohnson and flyboy like this.
  19. MELK-MAN

LOL.. indeed. ;)

Here's an example of your son Matt that stuck with me for over a decade now.. CCS regional race at Jennings. $2000 for Kawi money for a few races of the day. Riders meeting, it was clearly stated that if no transponder, you get dq'd. Many had more than 1 bike, but only 1 transponder, so it was a PITA for scoring.. riders could buy 2 transponders if they wanted. Matt WINS a kawi money SS race, goes to tech. Is told "sorry, dq, no transponder". He calmly walked his bike back to the pits. no muss, no fuss..

I AM NOT saying this situation is parallel, and that TSE or CW are at fault for appealing the ruling.. they should if they feel the need. it's a LOT of money, and arguably had no advantage with the incredibly minor rule infraction. But the above is one example of how people deal with rules.

20. Yep. They (CCS) could have let the results stand as they were, rather than DQ'ing somebody and making a HUGE fuss over 1/10th and 1/20th of an inch...something that had absolutely ZERO influence on the outcome of the race.

Especially when you consider the bodywork was the same on both bikes, the intake (aka "ram air tube") on both bikes was the same size, and both bikes had the same filter in it.

I could see if somebody was running a 2mm overbored motor, or if somebody had intentionally bored out the intake to make it an inch wider, or some shit like that. But to make an issue out of something like this is silly. It is almost as if they are just looking to stir up controversy for exposure.