1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by HoyaXC07, Jul 9, 2017.

1. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about running the Daytona 200 next year. I have a ton of laps there in a car but never on a bike. Any advice or tips for the 200? How many sets of tires do I need for the race? Any specific licensing requirements outside of an expert license?

Thanks!

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Do the club race in October if you can.

MELK-MAN and TurboBlew like this.
  3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

^^ Yup. no better way to gather info.

4. HoyaXC07

Hah I wish but there is no way I could make it.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I'd highly recommend October also.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If I recall, there's no first year experts allowed either. Not sure what your situation is.

The 200 is a fun race. I believe I used 2 sets of tires in practice / qualifying, then 1 front and 2 rears for the race. But a lot depends on your pace. Most guys can use the front tire for the whole race. Depending on your pace, you may need as many as 3 rears. Most bikes will do 20 laps or so on a tank of gas. So you are looking at a minimum of two stops. You are allowed to fuel and change tires on a red flag, so this can alter the pit stop strategy.

What kind of bike are you planning to use? Fast Frank makes quick change gear for almost any bike. That's a big plus, but you will need a crew that knows how to make the most of it. Also there are a lot of little tweaks you can do to make the quick change work smoothly. Beveled brake pads, magnets in the caliper pistons (or just RTV them in place) etc.

It's fun being part of the big show. I would encourage you to try it!

cajun636 likes this.
  7. HoyaXC07

Thanks Gino. I'd run my 675. If I can swing it I'll try to run the October race.

Gino230 likes this.