1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 2022

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Daytona kept it alive, it is and always has been their race no matter who has been running it.

BigBird likes this.
  2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Wonder how the weather will be.
    SEEMS LIKE it would probably be warmer in March.
    No idea about rainy season in Florida. I would imagine it is like Hawaii and “Mc, MAC, paddywack” land

3. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

As far as weather goes Christmas to Valentine's day is usually the coldest time of year here. Usually not rainy until mid February and Bike Week can be hit or miss on rain.

All this talk about the "old" Daytona Bike Week and no mention of "Jesse The Human Bomb". That turns this into a dud !!

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Strange to mouth off about that when you don’t even sell that street bike anymore. Plus didn’t the price go up a ton? Ugh.

If Kawi can sell one for $10k, why can’t anyone else…

The Great One likes this.
  5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

This is my understanding also. I love the idea of different layouts and machines that end up with similar lap times and different strengths/weaknesses compared to their competition.

And as irrelevant as 600s are now i can’t wait to see 959, 765, mv800, hopefully gsxr750. If this means the start of 750cc 4cyl again what’s the downside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Is the Triumph 765 STR getting official FIM homologation? I imagine the Daytona won't get it as it is a significantly hotter motor. I haven't heard anything official yet.

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Because no throttle by wire and essentially the same motorcycle with different bodywork since 13. I get the R6 has been the same since about 08, and, at best, since 12, but what's better? Things cost money. Be mad that they cost money if you don't have money, but buy them if you have money. The cost of entry is not the limiting factor here when it costs double and then some to make any motorcycle competitive at that level. So do or don't, but don't make it seem like $4k is standing in the way of a MA championship.

MELK-MAN and cav115 like this.
  8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

765STR and 765 Daytona engines are the same. Even the Moto2 engine is the same aside from gear ratios and a stator and cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

My comment was more about street bike sales and the “death” of this style of bikes. I know that MSRP has no effect on pro team budgets.

I am peeved that somehow selling a non-street legal bike satisfies homologation rules. Maybe they asked for an exception. Maybe they didn’t need one. But it definitely seems to violate the intent of the rule. And what if someone produced a new model that was track only…

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Daytona AND CCS/ASRA kept it alive... to say otherwise is just arguing.

969, mike574 and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  11. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Were you ever interested in assisting in keeping it alive?

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Melka, did you ever give any thoughts of running the 200? I know it costs a boatload for one race and basically burns up an engine, but was it ever a bucket item for you or no?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

The apartment house where I stay hasn't changed. The neighborhood, on the other hand.....

[​IMG]

YamahaRick likes this.
  14. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Boy, does that picture sum up Daytona lately... For better or for worse.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is and has been and always will be Daytonas race. Finding someone to run it isn't hard to do, they've had multiple iterations of AMA Pro and CCS do it. There is nothing to argue about. The people running it are a part of it sure but they are all easily replaced with someone else if the money is there. What can't be replaced is Daytona putting up that cash for the purse to attract the riders.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thought about it sure but never any need for more than idle thoughts.

17. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Quick data graph regarding the 765r - I rode one at the Ridge and while I liked the bike, I was under impressed. The bike was basically all stock, not even a flash. It ran well, handled well (after adjustments) but overall, I thought it was slow. Just for fun, here is a speed data graph with a Graves ZX6 vs the 765R.

Note - I only did 2 2 hotlaps on the 765 and it was on Pirelli's vs Dunlop's on the Kawi. With a few more laps on the 765r, I could have easily met the Q time for MA. The main think is looking at the speed graph as it relates to acceleration.....

Ken

Stock765vsGMSZx6.png

18. khill

khill Well-Known Member

My personal thoughts re allowing current bikes (R6/GSXR/ZX6) to go back to the older Supersport rules (heads, cams, airbox) to match the bikes coming in is a no. The massive extra expense in doing that, IMO, should be handled by limiting the incoming bikes to see where everything plays out, first....

Gino230 and The Great One like this.
  19. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

If I'm reading this right it seems like a race prepped and flashed Daytona 765 could be very competitive. Looks like the Daytona lacks the top end right now but that could be a symptom of Electronic throttles shutting like most stock liter bikes do. Also we are comparing a stock bike to a race ready Graves Zx6R which is essentially the tables stakes for MA Supersport.

stangmx13 likes this.
  20. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

765 Street Triple or Daytona moto 2?