1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dale Jr. in plane crash

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, Aug 15, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes.
    All jets used to require 2 pilots. In the 70s they relaxed that if the plane met certain requirements for ease of use and had a maximum takeoff weight below 12,500 lbs.
    Lots of smaller turbo prop and jets CAN be certified and flown single pilot, even some that are above the 12,500lbs. Dales jet has a MTOW (max take off weight) well above 12,500 and must be flown by 2 pilots.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Preliminary reports indicate that the pilots were
    playing rock paper scissors at the time of the accident.

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I heard the treadmill was going the wrong direction.

RoadRacerX, auminer and motoboy like this.
  4. rwdfun

rwdfun

What does weight got to do with it. I doubt 2 pilots could lift more than 500lbs together so it's moot point

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Chino52405 and Razr like this.
  5. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

The largest I have seen flown in single pilot ops is the Premier Jet. There is a guy on youtube that shares almost every flight he makes in his Premier.

6. Fonda Dix

1. Insurance against pilot illness/death and the potential number of lives lost. Bigger planes have larger "soul" capacity.

2. weight = workload. The larger the aircraft the more systems is has and the greater the workload on the operators. This is why the 747 used to have three, two pilots and an engineer. Now it only requires two.

7. rwdfun

rwdfun

:whoosh:

8. Fonda Dix

Damn. I just read your post closer.

I do win the WOOSH award of the week.

Sorry for being a joke killer man. :D

upload_2019-8-16_13-18-21.png

9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

News reports are now saying the plane bounced at least twice very hard while landing before the right landing gear collapsed causing the plane to skid out of control. Pretty scary.

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

If they bounced twice they were already out of control. It's more likely that the gear collapsed after the plane went off the runway and impacted one of the embankments/ditches between the runway and the road.

11. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

3 bounces and you are current again.

ChemGuy and Rising like this.
  12. fastedyamaha

Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full. The gear collapsed on a bounce causing the plane to skid off the runway.

13. ChemGuy

If so not good.

It's a citation not a tigger. Bounces are no bueno.

418 likes this.
  14. fastedyamaha

So what would cause it to bounce? Too much descent angle and not enough “glide”?

15. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Well it takes a pretty hard bounce to cause a gear to collapse. If they were crooked and side loaded the gear it would collapse a little easier but it would still take a pretty good load.

16. ChemGuy

Usually too much speed and forcing the plane down or other pilot error. A small skip bounce isn't bad but if the hit hard enough to pogo stick...that's usually a mess up

17. 418

418 Expert #59

I wonder if they tried to pound it in due to the runway length.

18. ChemGuy

Possible.
    All speculation at this point. But it happens.

19. dusty04

dusty04 Member

Jr has his pilot’s license, wonder if he was in the right seat..

20. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I don't think Jr has his pilots license. A couple of the other drivers do.