1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dale Jr. in plane crash

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Clinton Airlines?

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep. Forgot about that one.

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

ducnut likes this.
  5. auminer

Naw, man. That was a real twerter post from junior a couple years ago. Presumably the same plane.

6. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

7. auminer

8. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

Local news was reporting a mechanical issue upon landing, but I don't know where that information came from. The perspective they showed from the end of the runway to where the plane stopped looks to be a very long distance, way more than the plane just rolled off the end of the runway. I don't know if that indicates anything or not. It went through the fence, and slid for a long distance down the side of the highway leaving burning jet fuel in its wake. The plane was on fire when it came to rest and had the runway fence wrapped around part of it. First responders said they were fortunate it wasn't obstructing them from opening the door to the plane. Cell phone video from motorists shows them climbing out and running away as the plane burns. The highway is shut down for however long it takes NTSB to investigate.

Is the number of plane crashes in the NASCAR world unusual? It seems like a lot over the years, and this isn't the first time a driver has been in a plane crash en rout to Bristol.

9. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

No your quote “happier times” earned you a seat down under lol.

10. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Not sure a about that airplane but a 747 landing close to max landing weight at 760,000 lbs doesn’t need much more than 5000’ to land...

ducnut likes this.
  11. ChemGuy

So I've read a few things about this one.
    The runway was recently lengthened to 5010 feet. This was done to allow more jets in as lots of time insurance or operators require 5000 ft of runway. This is done for safety even if "the book" says 3500 or 4000 is enough.

So there should have been plenty of runway if things went normal. I've also heard from local pilots that there is steep terrain to the NE the way they were coming in. They also said most jets land going the other way since tou can fly up the valley and make a more normal approach. They then take off the other way to avoid the steep terrain/hills.

Someone also pointed out from a pic that the thrust reversers didn't look to be deployed (not opened to produce reverse thrust). Maybe they did use them but they shut when the crash happened.

There was a other corporate jet crash a few years ago where the plane had an issue with the abs system (I think it was abs) and the crew didn't recalculate the required runway length. They overran the runway by a lot. I mention as some report claim they had a mechanical issue. They could have had a braking, thrust reverser, spoiler etc issue and that's what caused this ine.

Just glad everyone got out.

ducnut likes this.
  12. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Reversers; I can only compare to a 747 since that as far my memory goes, but on a normal landing on a dry runway the reversers doesn’t help to shorten the landing distance, the only time it helps then is when you stand on the brakes and trying to land in the shortest distance available and you might reduce the distance by a few hundred feet. Max manual braking is probably something you would only use in a some kind of an emergency landing. The reason we use them on dry runways is just to keep the brake temperatures down at reasonable levels. But on contaminated runways reversers helps a lot to reduce the landing distance.

I don’t even what kind of airplane was involved in the accident and does it even have reversers?

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Pilots are alive, wreckage location is known, no need to speculate. We will have answers and soon enough.

418 likes this.
  14. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

lol

15. ChemGuy

You mew here?
    Or to aviation in general?

ducnut likes this.
  16. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Why did they have two pilots onboard? Is that some sort of regulation based on plane size?

17. 418

418 Expert #59

This is the beeb we're talking about here.

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Trying to fly to Mexico. I swear it wasn’t there a few years back.

19. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member