1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D-Day Anniversary Tomorrow

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

With WW2 veterans as scarce as analog powerbands, try to swing by your local VFW and recognize some true badass.

SuddenBraking and MELK-MAN like this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

And watch some Band of Brothers episodes.

Hats off to those crazy fucks - I'm forever in their debt.

Ducti89 likes this.
  3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

One of the stories covering it said this will be the last major anniversary where any of the vets are present. Sad to think about that.

4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

VFW? Shit. We have the confederate air force. Thats right, I said it. confederate.

joec likes this.
  5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

6. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I saw FiFi the other week. That airplane was made for shorter people than I am.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

VFW used to be pretty racist. Has that changed?

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

No.

9. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

There are some cool videos from the UK media on YouTube

The one from Channel 4 brought a tear to my eye, it’s a shame I lost the old man a year or so ago,

As veteran of the time & I think the day he would have loved being part of this

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I actually met one last week while getting my morning coffee at the local Royal Farms.

Old guy in his Veteran baseball hat with the ribbons indicating his decorations. LOVE the old guys in those caps. I ALWAYS
    take a moment to ask them where they served.

Anyway, he was wearing a TShirt that said, "So when does this old enough to know better stuff kick in?"
    I first commented on his shirt...he walked outside and sat down at an outside table. I looked over an then realized
    his hat said "World War II Veteran"...I was like OH SHIT I gotta talk to this guy!

Turned out he was 92 freakin' years old! Served in the Navy at Okinawa and Iwo Jima.
    He said, "The service's been pretty good to me...I'm still here!"

Old man's a bad ass....card carrying, dues paid, and board certified. I truly felt like I was in the presence of Greatness defined.

Lawn Dart, stk0308 and pscook like this.
  11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

My Dads Father passed at Iwo Jima and is buried in Hawaii. I wish I could have met him.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My Dad flew in B-24's in the Pacific theater. He never brought up stories and I was too dumb to ask. At his funeral some of his remaining friends told me stories though. One of those regrets that I wish I could change.

Attached Files:

Wheel Bearing and TLR67 like this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dad was a tail gunner in B-29. He was scheduled to go to the Pacific until they dropped the bomb. I had one uncle at Normandy and two others at Iwo Jima. One that turned around and joined the Marines after his hitch with the Army was over. They were serious badasses, and never talked much about it.

14. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I'm currently in The Netherlands. Front page story on the local papers I saw this morning. My Airbnb host, where I also stayed two years ago, has a small Airborne flag outside the house. Last time I was here I told them about my father jumping down nearby as a member of the 82nd Airborne (Operation Market Garden, not D-Day). I just wish it was an 82nd flag, not the 101st. :--)

Triple X and Steeltoe like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hats off to all the men and women who fought to free the world from the tyranny of evil men.

And happy birthday to my late sister, who would be 52 today.

16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It's heritage, not racism. I mean, it's not hate. Sorry I get it confused. :rolleyes:

17. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Much respect. The stories are dramatic and the lesson should be learned. Lets hope no one ever forgets.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I can't imagine what it took for those men to take that beach, along with all the other operations that day, and the months/years to come.

Sterner stuff, those heroes.......

19. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Yeah they went in knowing there was going to be horrific loss of life...and they didn’t hesitate to do their jobs. Mad respect to them and anyone else who defends our freedom with their lives.

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Few of those guys are still hanging around the AF museum in Dayton, OH. Plus you can touch the plane that ended WWII.