1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom suit near Summit Point recommendations

Discussion in 'Other' started by Dr. Pete, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

Hey, I'm looking for a good suit builder nearby. I live in Charles Town, WV near Summit.
    I'm currently using an Alpine Stars w/ the airbag and definitely want the suit to have an
    internal airbag if not use the one I have. Let me know what recommendations you have.
    Thanks!

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

What's wrong with the AlpineStars suit?

I don't believe there any custom suit makers near you.

Not sure Barnacle Bill makes suits anymore. So here are the options I know of, I'd consider:

One-X makes a nice suit. Stefano Mesa wears their gear. I'm looking at one for my son because he's not big enough for adult suits, and may be too big soon for
    youth suits.

https://onexusa.com/

Heroic Leathers also makes a very nice suit.

https://www.heroicracing.com/

My son's suit is currently an off the shelf Heroic youth model, and it's a VERY nice suit.

Hope that helps.

3. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Does Vanson still make custom suits?

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

mithos makes suits compatible with the tech air. They arent local to you. Biggest thing is getting your measurements which any tailor can do. Any suit maker will have the dimensions they need on a form.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nearest to you (I think) would be AGV sport up in Frederick MD but I don't think they do airbag suits.

Really, if you want custom with an airbag you are going to have to do it via email and phone. Mithos does them and I'm pretty sure NJK is doing airbag suits now. I think Dainese will do up a custom suit for you (if you have the cash) and if you know the right person/ people, Alpinestars would as well.

If you have even the smallest thought you might screw it up, Take the measurement sheet to a local tailor and pay them to take all the measurements.

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I forgot about AGV in Fred-Neck, Dave....good catch.

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Leather panels can be added/resized to create better fit, get your current airbag suit modified.

8. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

Hey guys, Thanks for the great info. I will look into One-X, Heroic, NJK, Vanson, and Mithos. The issue w/ the Alpine Stars is that in order to fit my chest w/ the airbag the suit is sized pretty large. Its a size 50 USA/ 60 Europe. There is a little too much slack in the legs and arms. In addition the glove seams have needed repair after sliding on the pavement. The suit has worked well, I've lowsided 3 times now in it, the airbag hasnt deployed, and I've been fine. But where I slid looks pretty thin and I've repaired tears from the inside w/ duct tape. Basically its close to replacement. If I could get something that fits better of higher quality w/o a huge price increase w/ an airbag would be great. Thanks again.

9. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I got a Mithos suit with an airbag early Fall of last year. I only had a chance to wear it a few times but so far so good. It fits well, seems to be made well, and I really like the thought of the A* airbag. No need to go to a tailor, all of the measurements are made by a friend over a Zoom call with Mithos in CA. They make sure you are being measured in the correct areas and take extra measurements to make sure everything is accurate. They send you a video with someone taking the measurements to get you prepared - it worked well. They seemed like good dudes, no complaints as of yet.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. mte78

mte78 Well-Known Member

upload_2021-1-29_19-36-36.jpeg upload_2021-1-29_19-36-5.jpeg

One X is nice.

11. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

How much did the Mithos end up costing?
    Did the OneX have an airbag, if so was it astars airbag and what did the suit end up costing? I need to get on this, the season is fast approaching.

12. mte78

mte78 Well-Known Member

No airbag. Yes, you need to hurry up, it’s about to get busy in custom suit lands.

13. Dr. Pete

Dr. Pete Member

Also any suggestions for someone who would take in a few panels on my astar suit at a reasonable cost.

14. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of different price points that they outline really well on their website. Things like full custom design vs. semi-custom, cowhide vs. kangaroo, different armor options, etc.

https://www.mithos-usa.com/

I got the semi-custom which is basically one of eight designs they came up with but from there you can change of the colors on any of the panels you want, you can remove any number of their logos you like, add sponsor info, etc. I upgraded the armor, got kangaroo leather, added an American flag on top of the hump, and was able to negotiate the price down a few hundred dollars which put it in the high 3-thousand dollar range. Sounds like a lot but if you got the standard armor and cowhide the price would be reduced by ~$1000 and then if you didn't have the A* airbag price would come down another $1149. The kangaroo is thinner and lighter but with about the same abrasion resistance as the cowhide. These suits are made in the same factory as the A* suits, they seem to be well made.