1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Frame

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by backcountryme, Mar 27, 2012.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Ok, I am thinking that after this season is over I might build some mini frames similar to YSR or NSR. I am planning on making them so that they will fit pitbike forks and swingarms since there are tons of them to be had fairly cheap. I am also planning on making then so that just about any engine can be mounted by just changing the engine mounting plates. I think that I will make them out of 4130 chromoly tubing and aluminum plate. I am a decent fabricator and have built some racecar chassis in the past, so I am not worried about the actual build. My question is this, if you were doing the same what geometry would you use (head angle, swingarm angle, ext). I will be using 12 inch wheels for the bikes if that helps.

2. blackbird2xx

blackbird2xx Well-Known Member

Google the nsr, and find out it's rake and trail. I would also set it up to use the nsr shock. It' way better and easier to find than an aftermarket ysr shock. I will watch for your build thread.

3. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

4. backcountryme

Thank you for posting that thread. I have seen his build before but couldn't find it again. His is a bit more then I am planning on doing. I don't have a tig welder anymore so welding aluminum is out for me.

5. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Yeah that guys work is on the upper end of skill capacity. Great inspiration.

I've wanted to put a 150R in a rs/tz125 for a while but can't seem to find a roller that is anywhere near my price range. Maybe building a frame is the way to go...

Hmm...

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

How are you gonna weld 4130 without a TIG?? :confused: (Or do I really not want to hear the answer to this, for fear I will have an Embolism)

7. backcountryme

Gas welding with the appropriate filler. I have done it before and it is actually a good way to weld chromoly as it will normalize the weld area while welding. Kurtis Kraft indycars were all gas welded.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I am going into KardiacArrest...LOL...well atleast you didn't say you were gonna MIG it up...:)

9. backcountryme

No, no mig on cromo. Tell me what is wrong with a proper oxy/acetylene set up wit the right filler rod?

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Not a thing, there are still guys building Exp Aircraft who do it, and guys in Europe who build bike chassis (Brazing them), IMO much like we use to plow fields using Mules and a wooden plow...then Tractors (TIG Welders) were invented...:)

I know all the cool kids are going back to Oxy/acet/welding n braz'n...but I tend to like being able to actually control the amount of heat in the welded area and see exactly what I am doing, also I crossdrill and purge all tube assys..so I am not getting internal contamination/half a weld.:up:

11. backcountryme

I agree with cross drilling and purging myself. I have used tig before and if I had a tig welder that is what I would do. But I also love to gas weld. I like the feel of it. And I have a tourch. So that is what I am going to use. That is also why I am looking at using cromoly.