1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curved TVs

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Nov 27, 2020.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Why? Is it dumb? Cool?

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

3. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Curved helps with reducing color shift, but at a specified viewing distance.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm such a troglodyte. I don't even know what color shift is. My girlfriend is a movie nerd and thinks my 50" tv is way too small. I'm planning to buy her a big ass TV for her birthday but the specs are too confusing.

What should I get? Looking at a 70".

5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

Rebel635 and JBraun like this.
  6. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Get an OLED or QLED, pretty sure the curved fad is over now. I went with QLED for the brightness for sports but for everything else OLED is the way to go.

BigBird and JBraun like this.
  7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

All LCDs have color shift when viewing at different angles, you'll notice it most at the extremes, some technologies suffer more than others.

Stand 2 feet away from your TV and turn on something that's a solid color, and move your head around like a pigeon. You'll likely notice the hues on the edges will be different from the center and will change as your head moves.

It's kinda died because you don't really look at a solid screen most of the time, and most people prefer it be as thin as possible rather than curved.

JBraun likes this.
  8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Just looked OLED up. Yikes. That's a few sets of tires...

Sabre699 and R1Racer99 like this.
  9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

which will last longer

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I looked at the curved TVs before I bought my last TV and they were crazy expensive at the time and the room I was going to put it in was all wrong for one.

Rectangular room with limited direct light on the TV and my seating position was directly in front of the TV one would have been cool.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Irrelevant! :D

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Size: ideal viewing distance is 3-5 picture heights, so measure the distance from the monitor mount point to where you sit, then calculate the picture height that is ideal for that distance. Buy the size that matches most closely, or the biggest the room will hold, whichever is smaller.

Go for a 4K HDR display @ 10,000 nits.

It'll burn your retinas, and blow you away with the expanded color space compared to 2K or 1080 displays.

Razr likes this.
  13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

If you're going to be gaming on the new gen consoles, get one that does 120 hz. OLED is the best and they are now getting into the affordable zone.

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Curved makes sense for big 32:9 widescreen monitors. You are sitting way closer and in one spot. I dont see it making any sense for a TV with longer distances and multiple seating locations.

+1 to OLED. Im trying to talk myself into a 65" LG CX.

15. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Curved is nice. Noted every monitor I checked reviews, seemed they are prone to cracking from minimal movement. I went 32 inch flat screen.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

samsung 4k crystal view Q70 and up for a good non-QLED TV.

Some good sales right now. that size should be about 1200-1400 or so

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

If you’re gaming, you want at least 144 hz. 120 is old news. :Poke:

18. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Definitely get a true 120 Hz or higher for one that size. I "saved" some money buying an "effective 120” (true 60 that pretends to be better than it really is) on the 65” I bought earlier this year, and I kinda wish I had splurged for the higher rate. Not enough to actually spend more money now, but enough to know better next time.

19. OldSwartout

OldSwartout Well-Known Member

Curved doesn't make any sense for a TV unless the only viewing will be done from directly in front or nearly so. Viewing from the sides if there is a larger group at a party or watching a game would suck.

Don't fall for paying extra for high refresh rates. The human eye can't actually follow anything over about 18 HZ and most modern movies are 24 frames/sec. The whole deal with refresh rates is that the more and more the circuitry has been miniaturized, the faster it runs naturally. The manufacturers sold the idea to consumers that faster was better and charged more as their manufacturing costs actually went down. If the LEDs will refresh naturally at 60HZ, faster refresh is just sucking money out of your pocket if you're paying extra for it.

20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Stay away from them unless you have an Uber dark room. I’ve had a few in the pawn shop. They look amazing until you realize they grab light from every direction so you see glares all over the screen. Drove me crazy.