1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critique my riding please...long post

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Sep 16, 2019.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Hello all. Some of you may have seen my post asking about Individual Rider Coaching. After taking everything in, I decided to keep at the trackdays and use the instructors as much as possible, I took the class to get the certificate so I can get my race license, and I plan to look into a school in the Spring.

It's been a little while but I finally got in some more track time. I did a 3 day event at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL Aug 31-Sep2. First time on track in a few months. I went in planning to spend all 3 days working on corner entry (lots of subcomponents) and mid corner roll speed. Thankfully the instructors pointed out some of my old bad habits popping up, assuming from the long layoff, so I ended up working on those instead. Practiced the line, smooth throttle control, cut out some excess body movement, etc... Ended up being noticeably quicker at the end solely as a by product of working on the areas they pointed out. Good thing too, because I think I would of crashed if I had tried to go faster with the bad inputs I was giving the bike initially. Here is some video. Please let me know what you guys see/hear. I've noticed some things that I would like to clean up but would love for you guys to let me know what more experienced eyes and ears notice.

This is the last session of day 3 and I wanted to push myself just a little to see how everything I'd worked on tied together. I tried to slowly ramp up each lap and feel like my best lap was the last one which starts around 8:45.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I predict boring, total agreement in this thread between all the participants.

khill, SteveThompson, scottn and 4 others like this.
  3. duc995

duc995 Yep…

First thing you need is a better camera/lens and a camera viewing position that doesn’t make my eyes hurt!

P.S. that may be an expensive camera setup, but yikes!

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Well at least he didn’t start off by calling everyone names...:D

Ducti89 and BigBird like this.
  5. lopitt85

Haha. No, it's an inexpensive setup. I just wanted something that can record what I'm doing and when. I actually use two cameras. This one is behind me so I can check body position and see when I'm moving. Its 360 so I can also see when I get good drive been out and when someone is running up my but to show when I'm over slowing or slowing to early. I have the same camera in front. It's not GoPro quality but it's what I have

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Your ass looks fat in those leathers.

7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

You're "coasting". Hold the gas longer and brake harder, ya pussy ! :D

8. lopitt85

That was the first thing I noticed when I watched the videos.

9. lopitt85

This whole post was just a way to get my ass some attention, so I guess it worked :clap:

Newyork and Venom51 like this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I can't seen to get the video out of slow motion.

11. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Fuck....savage.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It was recorded at 60 frames per second but he's only riding at 30 frames per second. :D

scottn, Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Hopefully OP ain't into turtle pussy...........cuz he ain't getting any.

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

1. fix the camera angle
    2. if u can accelerate, get to WOT smoothly and quickly
    3. move your butt before braking
    4. if u need to brake for a corner, brake to the apex - even if its only 5% braking force. u will eventually move this point around - where u left off the brake entirely - but this is a good start.

theres more. but that should keep u busy for a few trackdays.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I watched the first and last lap...
    - Sounds like you coulda used the brakes more; enter faster or brake later...and deeper.
    - There was at least one moment in the last lap where you hung on to a gear too long before upshifting. Coulda been just an unsurety on your part about whether you needed the extra gear. It's a drag race corner to corner, so the answer is: yes, we all need another gear. :D
    - Your side-to-side was decent, a couple half-assed positions before fully un-assing yourself but otherwise a good conservation of energy.
    - Your upper body is still a bit centered on the bike; this makes leading into the corners with your eyes a bit of a strain as you must twist your head opposite of the direction of your spine. Hang off less with your ass and drop your inner elbow towards your inner knee. Keep your outer leg's thigh/knee parallel to and in contact with the tank while doing so...slide back in the seat 'til you hit the back; that's as far as your ass needs to hang off, for now. This puts your upper body more off the bike, keeps your spine inline, has your head leading you into the turns and allows you to stabilize your steering by locking the outside elbow onto the tank.

Overall, I liked your effort. You were in control, just need proper time in the saddle to exploit/hone what you've learned.

turbulence likes this.
  16. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Going by the engine rpm long ramp up as you exit corners, you're probably not downshifting enough.

Guys here would call it the wrong coloured powerband....

17. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Buy a XR100 and ride it in the back yard a while.

SpeedyE, TurboBlew and Ducti89 like this.
  18. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Or at a mini gp track. Minis rock.

StaccatoFan and TurboBlew like this.
  19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Take this thread over to Trackday Junkies.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I mean...that bunch is a real waste of time. Rather see him here with the quality of folks learning and listening.

As soon as it deteriorates into buying pirelli tires on Amazon, then we can have him hold a case of water and watch Broome uppercut him like a fatality in Mortal Kombat.

turbulence and rd49 like this.