1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy Week.....Karma

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm really freaking excited, I bought another forklift company this week..........Growth by aquistion, baby. Actually the assets of company.

Spoke to the guy for the first time on Saturday via phone, met in person Sunday for 3 hours, wrote my initial deposit check Tuesday morning. Now to keep the accounts!!!

He wants out because, as he said, "I'm tired of pushing employees uphill, wiping their butt and brushing their teeth for them". Within 30 minutes of me writing the check, one of my techs calls me and my van burned to the ground at a customer site. The guy I bought the company from was very happy it wasn't him dealing with this...LOL.

This is in orange county, so every freaking hazmat, city, plus county organization was involved. I couldn't clean up the mess, an environmental company must. The fire department didn't foam it, they used water and didn't block the drains so some oil, etc. got into the drainage system.

So they want to steam clean the asphalt and waterjet the drainage pipes. Then down aways they have to clean some collection box of oil and possibly remove vegetation.

Telling me $25-30k is what it will cost me, and I had to give a deposit on my credit card. Talked him down to 7500, he wanted a 15k deposit. Still don't have a straight answer from my insurance if I'm covered, but he thinks so?

At least no one was hurt and I'm still happy to be in the forklift business.

Shenanigans, G 97, gixxercurt and 5 others like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Gotta love Cali :crackup:

5axis, Rising Sun and Boman Forklift like this.
  3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Love your attitude. It'll work out. Keep pushing on.

G 97 and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Congrats man! You should be covered . As long as your agent didn't take advantage of you.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Good stuff Rob. Not the truck, but to the future of your empire.

But just saying if you had a Chrysler Town and Country, that wouldn't have happen. :D

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Congrats on the new acquisition! If you need someone to rep your empire in Provence, I'm your guy! And, good luck with the van mess :(

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Wow, glad I live in WI. We scrape as much off the pavement as we can, if it's in the gravel already the plastic shit peels up like dead sun burned skin and that's that. Seen places 10 years later where I've picked up cars and the road is still etched up from the heat. :D Better off letting the bitch burn, throw all the copper wires and tire beads in the cab and truck it right to the scrap yard.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Lol, I can be the only forklift guy in the world with those vans....maybe I'm missing an opportunity to differentiate myself.

9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

No chance Rob, you're already quite deffrint.

10. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Maybe you can push back some fault on the FD for causing the Environmental insult.

11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Congrats on the expansion Rob!

12. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Damn Rob. Only good thing is you’re pretty even keeled so I’m sure it’ll work out. Congrats on the expansion. Talked the boy into taking it over yet when you’re ready to hit the ejection button?

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Congrats Rob!

Sounds like you're on fire... about to blow up!

Too soon? :D

BigBird, Boman Forklift and motion like this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good luck on your acquisition, and the clean up!

15. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

On the purchase and your great attitude!

16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

17. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like the forklift business has it's ups and downs. When you come to a fork in the road like that, you need to side shift a little, recharge your batteries and drive on. :)

I'd push back a little on the enviro cleanup as it sounds like a fire dept problem of not using the proper tools for the job to contain the runoff. Then again I have no knowledge and experience in that realm and have no idea how f-ed uo cali is on issues like that.

Congrats on the acquisition. And good luck from here forward.

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Good on you Rob, your constant positivity is always something I enjoy reading here.

Do me one favor and don't try to hem up the local FD on this... setting up dyke systems and worrying about runoff before putting water on shit at a fully involved van fire is, well.. shit said by people who don't do this sort of thing for a living.

19. SoCal1000

SoCal1000 Will work for tires

Congrats on the expansion, Rob. I love reading about small business success. And hopefully insurance will cover your loss and expense. That’s why we have it.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wouldn't blame the FD but I also wouldn't expect the vehicle owner to know to do it either :D