1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crazy jig's un-employed everything must go sale!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by jigmoore, Mar 30, 2007.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Sweet! (you know what I mean):D

Hey, Jig. I got fired years ago, and in reality I hated the job anyway. It was forced mental therapy; forced me to get in a line of work that was better for me. At the time I thought it was the end of the world. I decided at the time that the bad wife should be flushed with the job. Life HAS been better since (this was back in '82).
    Best to you for a better life. Glad you're keeping a track bike: best therapy there is!

I know there are lots of BBSers in auto related fields. That has to be tough when it comes to feeling secure about your future, especially with the US manufacturers and related suppliers. Sad.

mmfoor

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  2. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

Jig, I am not normally one to suggest such a course of action but it could possibly be warranted here. My advice would be to sue your employer for wrongful termination. It will at least insure you that you get some severance out of the deal. I work for JPMorganChase (BankOne back before they were purchased) and even though Ohio is an at-will state pretty much everyone who ever gets fired starts a lawsuit against the bank. The people who were obviously morons and deserved to get fired usually get nothing while the guys whose manager just didn't like them or didn't follow the proper protocol ends up getting a payout (usually without ever going to court).

I am very much against people filing a lawsuit just to get an easy check, but if you didn't do anything obvious to get fired, had no warning, etc, then at least sue them to get your severance.

3. wdavis009

wdavis009 Well-Known Member

Rules are a little different at the plant, and plant managers get away with stuff HQ managers would never dream of doing. Do you work for an OEM or Tier 1? At Ford and Visteon you need to have 2 documented semi-annual reviews where you scored a "below expectations" before HR will even begin the process of letting someone go for performance issues, which usually takes several more months. I went through a 14 month process trying to get rid of someone (total incompetent), and then HR let the person transfer to another department at the last minute. :mad:

All Michigan employees are "at-will". It is state law. But, if you never received any poor evaluations (or any evaluations for that matter), and on top of that you have recently received a "merit" raise, i.e., pay increase for good performance, you actually have grounds for wrongful dismissal, though I do not condone such lawsuits. It should be enough leverage to ensure a decent severence package though.

4. EricRoyal

EricRoyal Racer/Trackday Owner

Hi Jig

Hi , its Eric Spector. can u give me a call re: bike (248) 752-1003

5. KTFO

KTFO Banned

ummm, both vito and moonpie live in alabama. problem with people that over react is that they probably didnt read things through the first time.

6. Jester13

Jester13 Zombo in '08!

dibs!

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

UAW will save your job:up: :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll watch the boat for ya :D

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He was management, he's non dues paying scum to them.

Sorry Jig, you'll find a better gig.

10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Everything happens for a reason Jig.
    Now you can take some time to "explore" The Chicagoland area:D

11. Shenanigans

Oh low level management...I see now.

I got out of UAW, I guess i'm non dues paying scum too:D

12. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I have a position open if Deb wants to learn more little tricks like the Shocker??:)

13. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

hey, you could join the army!

14. Shenanigans

Do you get a bonus if he joins??:D

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Jig, sorry about your firing. As they say, things happend for a reason.

Keep your head up, and keep on keepin' on. :)

16. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Just to clear up a couple of things:

1. I always figured that if you were "at will" that you could be fired for any reason or no reason at all. . . except for an illegal reason such as b/c of race or gender or something like that. How is it that he'd have a claim for wrongful dismissal if he was at will?

2. Many employees are not actually at will because they have a contract or collective bargaining agreement that they be terminated for cause only, so not all Michigan employees are actually at will.

3. Jig, you did not have a written employment contract, did you?

Note: My questions and opinions are based largely on New York law because I have only acted as an employment attorney here in New York. But I would be very curious to learn if Michigan has a cause of action under circumstances that Jig just went through.

17. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

Jig's location says Grand Rapids, Mi. Honest mistake or he was driving a lot of miles.:D

18. racer_11

racer_11 moto nyne guy

dang it, no! but i do need a pit beatch to dust off my yz out there 'cause, i'm lazy.:D
    plus, the more the merrier in the sandbox!!!!:beer:

19. Shenanigans

:D :D I hear ya.:beer:

20. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

It's my understanding Hyundai is expanding in Montgomery, AL, so come on down. You can join the rest of your brethren already here.

More Yankees down here now than during Sherman's march.