1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crashed again. FML

Discussion in 'General' started by track wagon, Jun 4, 2019.

1. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

So I crashed again... this time tho it was the bikes fault. Was having problems with the vortex rear sets not getting a full shift and the bike popping back out of gear in to the lower gear I IE going down a straight and click I. To 4th and then 1 sec later it goes back to 3rd.

Turn 4 at Vegas is a long left handers that you go from 2nd to 4th. I went to click in to 4th and it did then about 1 to 2 secs later it shifted back in to 3rd. Causes the rear to slide and bucking me off the bike.

Getting new rear seat to try and fix the problem already pulled the tranny out and it was fine and shimmed correctly.

Sucks as I just bought new OZ racing wheels and one is toast :( going to be an expensive fix. Wish me luck. Did a 1:30 thin the first 4 laps on my fist race at auto club.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a shifter adjustment issue and not rear set issue.

stk0308 and JBowen33 like this.
  3. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Thought the same thing I have adjusted and adjusted it. But if you for anycbetter ideas please do share.

SVandST likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It sounds like you could benefit from a FactoryPro Shift Star Kit.

track wagon and TurboBlew like this.
  5. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Amen to that.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

track wagon and Rico888 like this.
  7. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

The only thing weaker than that excuse...is your left foot.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :)

8. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Is the shift knuckle and shift rod at approx 90 degree angle to each other? If that gets too far off 90, it can reduce the effectiveness of the shift lever.

9. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I swear I have never had a bike pop out of gear this much.

10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

They are a perfect 90 degrees. I think the rear sets overall have to much play.

11. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

It took a lot of adjusting the shift rod length on the new to me '12 GSXR 600 that came with Vortex rearsets before I was able to get a solid engagement on each shift. First session out I had a bunch of false shifts, but after each session I made adjustments until the problems went away.

I also partially blame it on my foot may have been partially resting on the lever at times anticipating the shift. I will say that the Woodcrafts on my 07 GSXR felt a lot more solid and precise than the Vortex.

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What kind of bike?

13. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Had a crash at summit main years back due to a similar reason, I had Vortex on at the time too, but the bike was known for having issues like that. Mine got stuck between gears and I had no engine braking, leaned it over till the rearsets hit trying to make the turn and slid off. Ended up geting the FP Shift star and detent arm; never had a shifting issue again.

14. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

2018 zx10r and I need a start shifter or something.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Figuring out the cause is good but how the hell are you? And is your dad less pissed off yet? :D

track wagon likes this.
  16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Are you using rod ends with plastic bearing inserts?

NemesisR6 likes this.
  17. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I am still in the hospital at the moment hopefully getting out today. The hole in my lung was keeping my oxygen low. So hopefully today they will let me go home.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Broken ribs? Hows the head?

19. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

The plastic end bearings I dont know I will look in to it.

20. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Broken ribs. Scapula. Collar bone. Head is fine.