1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crash protection bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Rob P, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

So I am prepping my bike for track day duty. Not looking to mod it too much but want to consider the repair bill in the event of a crash. I will run aftermarket fairings and mount but I am a bit back and forth on "protectors". It seems like you can spend a ton of money on "protectors" that you would need to replace after a crash. Right now I am back and forth with case covers. On one hand I can buy a case cover to protect part of th bike that costs a few hundred or simply run it as is and replace it if needed. I'm not sure it is worth buying. The only other part I do wand is a brake lever guard simply because triple digit unintended stoppies are not fun. So what level protectors do you run for track days?

2. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Get case covers. If you crash, you don't want to be "that guy"

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of woodcraft case covers with the SS "rub" strips. They've seen some serious abuse without holing the cases. I've crashed a R1 and a FJR without them and holed both cases.

4. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Crash engine covers, lever protectors, no frame sliders, just my .02

5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Oddly enough, i know it seems counter-intuitive, but the frame sliders can do more damage, ie bending the frame mount, if the bike slides over a curb with enough mOmentum.

GB case covers are easy to install.

6. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Yep on the case covers. They are protecting the cases AND the guys behind you....

7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

This. They'll also tend to catch in the grass if the bike is sliding along. Then, rather than sliding, it'll do all sorts of neat gymnastics.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the shorty frame sliders...just enough to keep the frame off the pavement and not enough to flip the bike (most of the time:)). A really solid wack on the sliders can cause frame damage, so there's that to consider. Every things a trade off.

JBall likes this.
  9. Case covers, brake lever guard and shark fin. IMO case covers should be a must for all track riding. I prefer GB but woodcraft and others make great stuff as well.

10. Woodcraft case covers with the sliders on them. Saved my bike a few times. Aftermarket clipons are also worth their weight in gold. I don't run anything else as far as crash protection is concerned.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As they're all saying - case covers for sure, shark fin is good, lever guards for sure. If an R6 then tank sliders as well - we don't require them on the new ones but they can't hurt. Aftermarket clip ons where you can change out just the bars for sure - do not use pins that key them to the upper triple even if they come with them. Just be sure the clamps are torqued properly and check them every so often.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's not fun when the clip ons come loose....:oops:

13. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Its a Panigale. For sure the clutch side cover as that is the part that protrudes the farthest. The stator cover Is under the body, so I am a little torn on. There is a protector that bolts to the engine that creates an aluminum slider, but I am not sure I want to put the crash force through two engine bosses, prefer to let the cover take the hit and not risk damaging the cases. Stock clip-ons have replaceable bars, not sure which way to go with those. I have rearsets on order, not sure when they will arrive though.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Run the stock bars, they're fine. I can't remember if there is an indexing pin between the bar mount and the triple, if there is, remove it. Otherwise you trash the triple in a crash.

15. Stop agreeing with me, it's a very odd feeling.

16. Ask Leon Haslm. That was a nasty crash at Donnington (his bar actually broke which was odd).

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Did Sam Lowe's have it happen this year too?
    His was after a crash though.
    I had it happen at Roebling thus year it's a shitty feeling for sure.

18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Doug Chandler's bar broke off going into the corkscrew a while back, he t-boned Akira Yanagawa IIRC pretty bad.

19. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Another free tip is to back off the torque on the clutch and brake master cylinders. Then they will rotate on the bar in a crash instead of destroying themselves

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Actually that's a good point. I need to pull them off to make sure they don't have a locating pin as well.