1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid19 PSA

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

In an academic setting, it might be expected as a sign of respect to call Jill Biden Doctor, in the outside
    world it's just pretentious. I just Googled news articles on Ben Carson and not one of them referred to
    him as Dr Carson. The old double standard strikes again.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

BHP41 likes this.
  3. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

My grandmother is 80 years old, and drinks whiskey on the rocks.

She has a doctorate in music theory, people call her doctor.

Not sure why it’s bothers anyone to refer to someone by what they prefer.

No one would address me by Frank the Bunny and expect me to respond?

:D

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If people decide to call you doctor for whatever reason, that's fine, but when
    you demand to be addressed as doctor when you are not an MD, you're a jerk.

tony 340 and cav115 like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Picture this scene:

- Hello, Mrs. Yarn, your car will be ready in a minute.
    - It's Dr. Yarn.

If you don't call her Mrs. Yarn at every opportunity you get in future encounters, you are a much better person than I am. :D

BHP41 and cav115 like this.
  6. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Irrelevant. Her platform as First Lady will be education. Her title is directly pertinent.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not in a parking lot, correcting an attendant just trying to do his job.

I'm not talking about Jill Biden. In fact, she is irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

cav115 likes this.
  9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Irrelevant to being pretentious and arrogant, IMO.

She can do a good job even if they call her fredo.

Her title does not affect performance.

10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I was not aware that she insisted on being referred to as Dr. Biden in a parking lot. And yes, it is relevant. The OpEd was about her.

11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I'm smaht! Sorry, had to. :p

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

I don`t think anyone cares that people call her Dr, but that`s different than her demanding it.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My involvement in this discussion started with the post about Ben Shapiro. I have only commented on the arrogance of correcting strangers who don't call someone Dr., especially in a context where it's completely irrelevant. I am not part of your Jill Biden fight.

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So, irrelevant. Unless you're starting a different thread? Or you are aware of her treating random people like a pompous ass/out of context? The thing is, I think sometimes people zoom past general ideas and conveniently conflate them into particular facts and circumstances to suit themselves.

The jumping off point was an 83 year old patronizing asshole who posted an OpEd piece about Jill Biden. For what reason? Then we had had some bitches and some sluts, and some ignorance and whatnot.

Your point is a good one I think, but lacks context? As always, you can think what you like.

15. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

:D
    Really want to change my name to Doctor Yarn right now. It would be worth the money.

“Call me Doctor....no... really... that’s my name :D

As an aside. I’ve been called Kiddo in a room full of old fossils that were my peers. It wasn’t endearing and it pissed me off. I didn’t say a damn word about it. I swore next time one of them called me kiddo, I’d respond with Gramps. After being with the company for 6 years though, it it never happened again and I haven’t had the chance.

Same thing with the FD - the old timers were very crabby and leaned into me for a good four years into my tenure. After a while they realized I wasn’t there to be a pain in the ass or prove myself - I just wanted to do my job and serve my community - and they stopped being so hard on me.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nothing makes people like you more like being a self important twat waffle.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You can probably get it changed legally. That would be funny for a while. :D

18. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

What Pravda-NYT Division article has been posted here ?

:confused:

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh...I dont mind calling a doc a doc. I do have a problem when the March a PhD out as if that conferred expertise in all subjects.

cav115 likes this.
  20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Nope she IS a doctor of education. Everything I know is that she legit earned that. Of course if she insists on being called that outside of the educational world she would be a pompous ass also.

Knew a fellow who earned one in Engineering. When asked if we were going to have to call him Dr he laughed. However on documents and official stuff for the company it was there for the credibility/prestige factor by company mandate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.